Got Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Dec 7, 2006.

?

Got Wii?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2007.
  1. Yes, by preordering or camping out (Americas)

37.0%
  2. Walked in and found one in stores since launch (Americas)

11.6%
  3. Help! Still can't find a Wii anywhere! (Americas)

23.1%
  4. Preorder/launch walk-in worked for me (UK, EU, AUS, Japan)

17.9%
  5. The shelves are bare and I've got nothing! (UK, EU, AUS, Japan)

10.4%
  1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Everybody knows you'd be hard-pressed to find a PS3 right now.

But how about the Wii? Early visions of plenty aside, my sense is that you still can't walk into a store and just buy one - even with Xmas just over 2 weeks away. Am I wrong? Or has Nintendo's hype about "4 million by year's end" fallen flat? Are there lots of you still frustrated out there?

(This is mainly a NA poll, as it's been a few weeks since launch here, but all our PALs can chime in too!)

2. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I saw two Wii's on the shelf the other day, and we already have one at the house, so I'd say that they're pretty availible.

3. therevolution macrumors 6502

It's not like that everywhere. I know of someone who got to a Walmart yesterday at 4 AM and he still wasn't early enough to get one.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

While they aren't sitting around on the shelves waiting for someone to walk up and buy one, many stores seem to be getting them in stock. All the Wal-Marts near me got a shipment yesterday. An employee at Target said they have recieved several small shipments. GameStop/EB expects to be getting a shipment by Friday morning. Nintendo has certainly shipped more units than Sony and I think even though they are going to be shipping 4 million Wiis by the end of the year, they will not be sitting around on shelves gathering dust.

The PS3 on the other hand...a friend of mine works in the media department of Best Buy and he said they got 6 PS3s last week, 2 60 gigs and 4 20 gigs. The 60 gig models sold out within 10 mins of the store opening but he said three of the 20 gig models were sitting on the shelf for at least three hours before they sold. I think people have realized that the system isn't selling as well as it was on eBay and that there really aren't that many reasons to drop $600 on it just yet.

If you really want either a PS3 or a Wii this holiday season, its going to take a bit more than just walking into your local store and picking one up. Ask employees about when they expect a shipment. They might not know exactly how many systems they will be getting but they should have an idea of the date they will be arriving.

On a side note, good luck finding Wii Remotes or Nunchucks. I finally found a remote at Target yesterday after visiting and calling just about EVERY store in my area that sells video games.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Why did more people not pre-order? From what I could tell, most pre-orders where open for a couple of days.

Picked up one of the last two remotes at my local Wal-Mart. Nunchuck/remote
    and component cables backordered at nintendo.com shop.

7. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which, for the Wii, is exactly what Nintendo hinted/promised (OK, grain of salt) you wouldn't have to do. It's silly to make giving money to Nintendo a lot of work for us. More importantly for their market targeting, how many parents will be willing to ask sketchy employees, then line up/stay up at the Wal-marts where the systems run out by 4 AM? (Maybe Elmo suggests otherwise, but still...) How many kids will ask for a Wii and get a Leapfrog "learning=fun!!!" system instead? What happened to the "there's no PS3s so everybody will buy the Wii" logic?

Bottom line - it's almost 3 weeks after launch. Given all the hype, we shouldn't have to resort to luck, plus lots of research, to get a system. Just my 2 cents, and sympathy for everyone yet denied.

ON PERIPHERALS: I've actually had some luck on all 3 (remote, nunchuck, classic) direct from Nintendo. EDIT: Ok, previous post suggests this may have changed. However, mine were backordered one day and shipping the next, so who knows?

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I saw one for the first time today for the first time at the GAME and Virgin Megastore at Oxford St if that counts?

9. Dandaman macrumors 6502

You need a "I can wait until 2007 to get a Wii" choice

daniel

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The local Walmart is getting some in tomorrow - the line forms tonight at midnight...

I might go early in the morning to see if any are available, but definitely after the line is gone.

D

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

12. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Milk, milk, milk...

Good luck! - esp. given all those "sky is falling, no Wii for Brits" stories I've seen today.

13. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Admirable restraint, but I'm more interested in the present supply situation, the "Wii as Anti-PS3" idea, etc.

If you have a fairly strong idea that one has already been bought for you for Christmas, guess you can indicate that with choice #2 or #4. But, y'know, since this is all scientific, don't go skewing the results then crying in your Xmas oatmeal on the 25th when you get an IOU instead. ;)

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I got one on launch day, but walked right into best buy, no camping no preordering.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

OOPS. Just realised I ticked the wrong option :D Mine was pre-ordered.

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Well, technically I didn't pre-order or camp out, but I did have to wait in line... no "walked in and found one", that's pretty much impossible around here.

17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Why is there a shortage of Wiis? It's not like there's a shortage of blue lasers or healthy amount of competition from Microsoft and Sony.

I'll probably just wait in line like the rest of ya.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I got one(walked in and picked it up no camping for me)...played it for a week now its collecting dust...splinter cell and R6: vegas is taking my time.

Bless

19. ClassicFitness macrumors member

All the Wallmart's, Costco's, Best Buy and Zellers around Montréal are out of stock since a week and a half for now. And no one knows when they will get some more. They all say the same thing “Last shipment was 2 weeks ago and maybe will receive some next week”. I did about 20 stores today and nothing.:(
    I was really motivated.

20. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I've checked different stores about 30 times in my area since Wii was released, and everyone just says the same thing to me. Sold out, don't know when more are coming in, check back after christmas.

I can wait till then, but if I get lucky and see one I'll buy it anyway. :D

21. bigjimbob macrumors member

Due to all the hype i've been hearing, last week i walked up to the Myer department store (sydney CBD) and preordered... because i'm a loyalty customer member thingy because i preordered i got some discount coupons and GT pro series 2 as a freebee.

It was release day yesterday took an early lunch break from work (10am) and wandered up to the store again. there were about 5 people in a line in front of me. Waited about 5-10 min and walked out with all the accesseries and games i wanted. people who hadn't pre-ordered were just rocking up and getting them without issue either.

Don't know how stock levels are doing now, but i think we're doing ok in the land of OZ.

Also now addicted to Zelda... Feel sorry for those people who have to wait.. But you do live in a country with 300 million people.. that's a lot of wiis (we have 20 million.. and a semi decent public Heathcare/education system!!)

22. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I got mine by "Camping out" in the Americas launch day, but i really just got there at about 6 in the morning... almost didn't get one at my Best Buy :p

23. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brooklyn? People have said either the Times Square TRU or the Nintendo World Store have better-than-average stocks...don't know if you've tried there (I would never think of Nintendo myself).

24. paintballer macrumors regular

I camped out at Walmart for 29 hours to get mine.

25. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Wow was that on launch day?