GOT YOUR Wii?? I DOOOOO!

Discussion in 'Games' started by OldSkoolNJ, Nov 18, 2006.

1. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

So I live in South Jersey near Philly and got a call two days ago saying that my pre orders will be available for pickup at MidNight on Saturday. First thing I thought is that was awesome, as I work all day Sunday and was upset I would have to wait until Monday. I am not as lucky as some kids where I can request a day off because the newest toy is coming out. Anyway.. we, girlfriend and I, went to pick it up tonight. I am uber excited over this as I love oldskool games and just the whole concept around this system is awesome. So tonight I realized a huge bonus. Now my house is a welcome mat for console gamers and we play all the time here. The girls, my girlfriend and others girlfriends, get very bored with all the other systems or have little to no interest. My girlfriend is I beleive more excited about the Wii than I am! She loves oldskool Nintendo also. SO finally she will be into this also. SO I am uber stoked about this. She was so excited when we got it we decided to drive by the Target in the same parking lot with 30 people camping out freezing and hold the Wii up and holding down the horn. The look on their faces was priceless. We decided that was great and hit the Best and Circuit City by our house. We got, count em, four middle fingers! LOL .. priceless.... ANyway .. onto to set the syetem up and play for about five minutes and then off to bed for early work. Interested to know if anyone has any similar experience with the game systems and their significant others?

Kevin

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I hope that I can even go to try to get it, hopefully my parents will let me get into even more debt to get the Wii. But I also hope that even if I do get to go, that it won't be a wasted trip.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

No, what would have been priceless is if those people mobbed your car, pulled both you and your girlfriend out of it, beat the living hell out of both of you with a tire iron, burned your car, stole your Wii and your wallets.

5. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Yes, that is the thought that came to me as well. That must be the difference in age between us oldfer folk and the little ones. We see and perceive danger everywhere. The young ones have no idea and unwittingly invite danger!

Have fun with your gaming station. Oh, and do your homework first.

6. Malus macrumors 6502

Didn't get one at walmart....gonna try tomrrow at other places....good job gettin one!! Have fun with it!

7. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I was thinking the same thing. After the numerous stories of PS3 buyers being followed home/around town after their purchase, that was a pretty stupid stunt. They'd then have their homes or cars broken into as soon as they left. Out of the 90 people you pissed off, there's a good chance there's a few whackos in there. Lock your doors! :)

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Nope, but drove around to Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Circuit City, they all had people waitin' except WalMart. I'm jus goin to wake up tomrrow and get one.

9. Archmagination macrumors regular

Got mine!!!!! I went and waited in line at 2pm.. was 9th. I could have actually waited until 5pm and I would have still got one. Anyway our Walmart really didn't have it togather.. 1st off we get told that they have 20.. then is was 16.. 4 were apparently reserved. Then we got the Manager their and he said it was 20.. Final figure ended up being 18(I wonder who got the other 2 consoles?) Also THEY DIDN'T HAVE ZELDA OR EXCITE TRUCK!! They also stupidly waited until we asked and COULDN'T find the Wiimote, Nunchuck or Classic Controller. All in all I wonder wtf was up with Walmart.

10. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I'm leaving to wait in line in 2 hours (my Target doesn't alow campers :( )

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. OldSkoolNJ thread starter macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Well as much as I would like to consider myself one I know I am not a kid anymore. I am 28. We deffinitely do perceive danger. Which is why car was locked and windows up and also this is just not an area stuff like that would happen in. Nothing wrong with some harmless fun even if I am becoming a geezer. Most the people around here even going to buy the game systems are soccer moms and fathers with too much money who spoil their kids.

PS - Will have pics up sometime .. right now time fer bed.

Kevin

12. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Just got home from camping 22 hours at my local Wal-Mart. Way longer than I expected but it was well worth it. Zelda is AMAZING and Wii Sports is a ton of fun. I'll work on a better review in the morning, I need some sleep.

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Only 20 at my local Wal-Mart. The whole time they were saying 29. Lots of people didn't get one. Got the 3rd to last Zelda!

Got to sleep a bit first! It's not fair! :D

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'd like to think I could get one on our release day (8th of December) but its looking like it might be a little more of a challenge that was expected.

Oh well, all those of you who got them... Enjoy.

16. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I camped out from 10:30pm last night (friday night) until 3pm Saturday at a 24-hour Walmart. At 3:30 they issued tickets and let us leave, but said if we weren't back at midnight, they'd sell our system. The camp out was necessary because when my two friends and I got there, we were numbers 3, 4, and 5, shortly followed by 6 and 7, and they told us there were 20 units. The list was full by 8am Saturday.

I took plenty of photos, I'll be sure to share when I get them online. We managed to each get a system, but they wouldn't sell us games or extra controllers...? They were really stupid and basically had no idea what was going on-- they didn't even know Zelda was a launch title.

Oh, here's a quicktime VR of a few of the campers. http://seenew.net/wii/wiiPanoVR.qt

17. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I got mine about 4 hours ago at the Toys 'R' Us midnight launch in Peabody, MA. I've been playing Zelda ever since... so awesome.:D
    They had an enormous stock of 200 Wiis... I was 102 in line and waited for about 5 hours. Met some cool people, froze my balls off, and uh... yeah.

Okay, it's 4:45... I need to go to bed.:p

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    "it just doesn't happen here" is a false perception that will likely get you killed one day. Crime is everywhere. If you think that you're safe from being killed by someone enraged by your actions then I'm sorry, you're wrong.

As far as "harmless fun," at 28 I'd like to think you'd have a little more küth than to go about mocking other people. It's more asinine than anything to do something like that. Might as well have driven by homeless people with a bucket of chicken waving about. Same concept.

Just remember what goes around comes around.

19. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Okay, here's the pics.

[​IMG]
    This is the Super Walmart we camped out at, since it's open 24 hours.

[​IMG]
    This is how far away they made us stay in order to camp. :(

[​IMG]
    I was accompanied by my roommate, Miles, on the right, and our friend Andy on the left. They both also got a Wii.

[​IMG]
    Excitement!

[​IMG]
    Number One and Number Two, I don't remember their names, but they were the first ones there. They're brothers, but Number One is a prick, totally anal about controlling the whole thing, and Number two was more laid back about it. My friends and I were numbers 3, 4, and 5 on the list of 20 when we got there around 11pm Friday night.

[​IMG]
    A mouse that died waiting for the Wii.

[​IMG]
    It was 37°F that night.

[​IMG]
    We were greeted with a beautiful sunrise, and more people joined the list. It was up to 15/20 now.

[​IMG]
    Miles, tired in the morning from trying to sleep in a freezing car all night.

20. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hopefully it will in this case anyway, I'm not a fan of that behaviour. :cool:

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

[[PART 2]]

[​IMG]
    Andy, in the same situation.

[​IMG]
    This is the group, right before the list was completely full. A group of 3 guys showed up, with only two spaces left, so they tried their chances at another store so they wouldn't have to abandon their friend. Oh, that's my drawing final project for this quarter over on the left. Yes, this launched right in the middle of my first college finals. :( I had to work as I waited.

[​IMG]
    Another view of the group.

[​IMG]
    This is Number One, the prick, who for some reason liked to throw out there every ten minutes or so that he was married... :confused:

[​IMG]
    Number Two, looking like a hobo.

[​IMG]
    Number Six, kept two himself mostly.

[​IMG]
    Number Seven, this guy was pretty cool. We joked around with him most of the time, especially about the three ten-year-olds some parents had dumped off to wait in line.

[​IMG]
    Speaking of ten-year-olds... Yeah, these guys thought it was necessary to show off every curse word they knew, and also informed us that they loved South Park, Family Guy, and Viva La Bam. We told them we couldn't wait to get a Wii so we could finally play Happy Feet.

22. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

[[PART 3]]

[​IMG]
    The list Number One was keeping. He misspelled all three of our names. Even though we spelled them aloud. N-E-W. NOT KNEW.

[​IMG]
    At 3:30, a manager came out and gave us official tickets, told us we could leave if we wanted, and come back by midnight. This gave me time to sleep and work on my finals. ^Andy was excited about his ticket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We got back at 11pm, and we all lined up again, this time it was 35°F.

[​IMG]
    At 11:45, we were finally led inside!
    They didn't allow further photography, so the last shots are of us in the dorm unpacking it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wide-angle exaggerates the proportions here. It's actually quite tiny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It passed my taste test.

[​IMG]

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's 3:30 AM, so I have to go to bed, no time for much. Let's just say two of my sister's friends that stayed to spend the night came to see what I was so excited about, and played for over two hours. One of these girls has an XBox, the other hates video games. Both called it awesome, both are thinking about getting one, and we literally worked up a sweat playing multiplayer (all laughing and having tons of fun).

Best gaming fest I've had in a LONG time, and with a non-gamer at that! We all created Mii's and went at it in Tennis and Boxing, then did a little Excite Truck.

I LOVE THIS SYSTEM!

I refused to put Zelda in because I will not be able to sleep otherwise and I have to get up early tomorrow.

24. OldSkoolNJ thread starter macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

We also can't go around leading our lives in the preverbial turtle shell afraid of what may happen next. Then we forget to do what we were put here and that is t live life to its fullest. It also saddens me that you would condemn my behavior, which is by far leagues away from waving food in front of the homeless, over the behavior of the morons who would do the things that are being done around the country over a game system... a toy. If you can't laugh then why bother. Sure make sure you have limits. I guess what I also failed to mention were the many in lines who got a laugh out of it, so stop living your lives hidden away from it all and just live.

Kevin

25. Malus macrumors 6502

My walmart had 29 as well....they were telling people they were getting 60......its lame hahaha. And I got the 2nd to last Zelda, man are we lucky or WHAT! hehe.