GoTM Gear of War or Zelda: TP ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ringo, Nov 7, 2006.

?

GotM for November.

1. Zelda : TP

42 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. Gear of War

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. None of them, another game will beat them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Who will win ?

I go toward Zelda. :) GoW looks awesome thought.

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

3. sixstorm macrumors regular

Zelda can be game of the month . . . GoW will be Game of the YEAR.

Most people who don't think GoW isn't that great or whatever hasn't played the game yet. I grabbed my copy today and I can't stop thinking about how awesome it is. No video online or opinion can give you a good impression, you just have to play it for yourself.

Sorry, but I'm not a huge Nintendo fan. I've been waiting for GoW since the X360 release.

4. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I think the consensus will be Zelda. Nintendo's Zeldas have been unchallenged for game of the year basically any year it comes out. And this is supposedly the best Zelda ever. Those IGN impressions cleared away all the worries people had for it.

Saying that, Gears of War looks daym pretty and makes me wish I could afford an xbox360.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think this is going to be a split vote even with the major media sites; some'll go GoW and some Zelda.

I'd say Zelda, GoW as runner up. I don't intend to purchase GoW however; I simply am not a fan of gorefests. The game looks incredible though.

GoW has better multiplayer (since Zelda has none, and GoW's looks amazing); Zelda has better single player (70+ hour storyline, vs cliffhanger ending? No contest).

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

hard choice because there are already 6.5+ million who have a 360 and i would guess a lot will get this game, making for huge sales which looks good for whoever selects game of the month. However, Zelda is Zelda. No matter who good or bad, it is GOING to be get a good review, and it is GOING to sell. If it was say a 9/10, because it has "Zelda" on it, it goes to a 9.5. But, it looks amazing so it might not need the franchise bonus points. Plus if Wii sells a million or 2 units, half those people have to be buying Zelda with it! More big numbers for the big N.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

GOTM? More like GOTY. I'd say they both qualify, but Zelda will definitely take it. I mean, it's Zelda!

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

GoW hasn't had 100% gleaming reviews (high 90's)? well, it isn't as good as OoT, and folks are saying TP is better than OoT. At least that's what logic is doing.

9. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

As I haven't played either game I couldn't possible comment without bias comrade.

But GoW is more my thing - if we are talking uninformed opinions here.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That'd be nice if the 360 wasn't £400 (360+GoW+VGA+WiFi) / $763 :D

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is the stupidest poll EVER.

Your comparing

Apples & Oranges.

Both will be excellent games, totaly different genres and two different formats, why do they have to compete ? Both are completely different so what's the point in a stupid poll like this.

I mean come on, its so tragic. Two fantastic games released in one month, how awful for gamers is that.. :rolleyes:

Besides as GOW is the only game to be released in November in all teritories, Zelda is not released till December in Europe and Japan so that nullifies your poll anyway.

Zelda will the be RPG / Adventure of the year
    Gears of War will be the Action / Shooter of the year.

Full stop.

SHOCK ANNOUNCEMENT : YOUR ALLOWED TO BUY BOTH :eek:

Jimmi fanboy comment error check. Seriously come on, its getting 94-100% in reviews, and why compare to OoT, hate to tell you but Twilight Princess is not OoT.... Dont post comparisons of scores until TP is reviewed otherwise it's just comes across as stupid bias.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

which is almost as good as OoT, it might even beat Quake 1!

According to initial reviews it's better.

You mean as stupid as posting a thread predicting which game will get GotY with one not coming out till next month? :rolleyes:

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

gonna be close but Zelda simply has the better chances

we will see in one month... if GOW wins GOTY then it's really close

GOTY on xbox 360 .. well that's a given

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

exactly ;) I have already said this poll was stupid.

----
    and in regards to OoT...

furthermore, any reviewer will tell you that you can not compare a review score from 5 -10 years ago with a game released today. That's utter nonsense.

Technical boundries have changed and the bar has been risen or redifined in the years past. A game that gets 94% today is not necesserily better or worse than a game that got 95% 8 years ago.

Times have changed and the things industry has developed and so have most reviewers with them, most people dont live like its 1996 anymore.

So stop comparing a game released in 2006 with a RPG's review score from 1996, that's just silly.. period.

I remember horrible horrace on the spectrum got 98% in one review back in the day, are you telling me that Mario 64 which got 96% in CVG at the time is a worse game. No..... comparing the two is stupid, and so is your comparison.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Comparison isn't just numbers. It's a 10 year old game that people still say is the best game ever, a game that is universally encompassing, a series that spans 2 decades and has more boundless respect than any other video game series.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But you were comapring a Action / FPS Shooter with it. That's what is stupid.

It's like comparing horses with boats.

17. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I have a 360 and will soon have Gears, but Ocarina of Time is still quite possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had and for that reason I vote for Zelda. I hope by next year I'll be able to get a Wii and play it.

18. sixstorm macrumors regular

Wow, a lot of Nintendo fans here. Well jimmi, that's the problem. Zelda would prolly win between the two just because it's such an old ass series and it's popular to like Zelda/love the original. Remember Grandma's Boy? "I beat Legend of Zelda before I could walk!" Come on, that's pathetic. If all this were true, the video game industry needs to shut down now because nobody can make a game to beat any Zelda game; what is the point? Nintendo will be the only company to make a video game anymore and they will only make Zelda sequels/prequels for the rest of our days here on Earth. Give me a break.

GoW isn't even 24 hrs old yet and people wanna bash it over a game like Zelda. Even if it is a so-called "gorefest" (which it's really not if you actually play the game), go try it. The graphics are unbelievable and the gameplay is awesome. I liked Zelda OoT, but there are many games out there that beat it up and down like a red-headed stepchild.

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

I voted Zelda. I'll do my best to say why.

To clarify, I have no experience with GoW, and likely will never play it. I'm somewhat bored with FPS games, and, at this point in my life, I won't ever seriously go back to them, with the possible exception of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games, but there's a lot of strategy mixed in those games in addition to the FPS aspects. When I say FPS, I'm more referring to the run-and-gun type games. I know GoW is supposed to require more strategy duck-cover-shoot-etc, but I just don't see it being as much strategy based as R6 and GR games.

Anyway, back to Zelda. I find that most of the games I'm playing now are either party games, action/adventure, or platformer games. The Zelda series has always been guided by an awesome story which translates into an immersive adventure. The deep storyline is rivaled by few games now (RPGs usually deliver a great story as well-but then with a slow play, you kinda have to), and I believe that with 70+ hours of gameplay (I'm a slow gamer, so it'll be more like 100+ for me :) ) the story will be an extremely in-depth one and immersive as well.

Aside from the differences of genre, length and level of immersion, I think that both games will look stunning. GoW will have HD, but looking at the Zelda screens and judging by what it is, I have to say that TP will look equally stunning. The same with sound: sure GoW will be in 5.1, and TP will be in PLII, but the Wii has the added bonus of the Wiimote speaker, which should add in some extra points if they were being rated.

Overall, I know that both games will do very well for their respective gamer parties, but for vote, it comes down to genre and level of immersion, which is why TP is my game of the month/year.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

but it's not out. What if.... it turns out to be a small bit of a turkey.
    (I hope and I am fairly confident it won't - but there is still that chance)

The point being both games are equally as great.

If both were RPG's then you could argue the toss between them, but they are completely seperate entities.

As I already pointed out if your talking GOTM.

Regardless it has to be GOW simply because Zelda is not out till December in Europe & Japan. But I still think the poll is a stupid waste of an idea.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

Thus the reason why I included and italicized the word my. :) It's just my opinion, just as is the title "Game of the Month" or "Game of the Year" are collective opinions. Often the reviews have some sort of objectivity in them, it's what they're there for. But one can't help throw in some personal subjectivity based on personal preferences. GoW probably is a great game... look at all the people who love it. I won't argue with them, but it's just not my cup of tea.

22. sixstorm macrumors regular

GoW does involve a lot of strategy. Maybe not in SP (you don't always give orders during the game), but definitly in MP. I was playing last night on Live and when everyone didn't stick together and didn't have a gameplan, we lost. But when I finally gave orders, we won because we had a strategy.

BTW, it's not a FPS. :D

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, after I watched the latest IGN weekly with the GoW review, I figured that one out. Please substitute "shooter" for FPS. Also, I didn't mean to imply that there was no strategy in GoW, I just don't see it as being as important in GoW as it is in the other games I'd mentioned.

In any case, I was trying to give reasons based on my observations and preferences rather than just making some remarks that could be construed as fanboyism. :D

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The gameplay is awesome? So what do you do, I'd love to know. The trailers have shown me a game where you attack, move forward, hide/take cover, attack, repeat. Only in shooter fashion the only variation is what weapon (recently the style seems to be for devs to make fewer weapons?) against enemies that simply get stronger throughout the game. Graphics? Well they're going to entertain me loads :rolleyes: I've already got 1/2 the GoW experience already then with video trailers.

I suppose that's why I like games like HL2 more. Instead of going in gung-ho (because yes, only 1 man can save the world :D but he needs the biggest baddest gun in town), it's more of a quiet revolution. Meh. I just can't stand the gung-ho style, always found it the most non-believable form of storyline.

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Zelda and awesome story don't belong in the same sentence. That's just not it's bag baby.

Japan doesn't get GoW until next year so we all have to wait till then to see which one gets goty ;) But that won't matter because we all know what the Japanese will play ;)

^ And jimmi, because aliens coming to earth and conquering while a little man warping a scientist in and out of time and setting him loose to slaughter some aliens is VERY believable... ;)