gotomypc.com for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Mar 31, 2006.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

I saw my friend use www.gotomypc.com and it looked amazing. Does anyone know about a service like this for a mac?

2. fradac macrumors regular

apple remote desktop is the solution from apple

and VNC is the free option

search up on the net

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

GoToMyMac was supposed to ship last year but I haven't seen any news since June of 2005.

4. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

These are the most user unfriendly programs I've ever seen. with gotomypc all you do is go to the web site and log in. With these programs, there is no web site, no login, whats dns?

I would do apple remote desktop but that requires you to install the app into the other remote computer (I think) and again, isn't web based, which means if Im at a windows comp it wont work.

As far as Im concerned, none of these are gotomypc equivalents.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Internet's domain name service, which maps domain names to their IP addresses.

If your Internet Service Provider assigns you a dynamic IP address (one that changes from day to day), you can use a free service like dyndns to use a domain name that will map to the current IP address. That way, you (and others you give access to) can refer to your system using the same domain name all the time even though the actual IP address changes.

6. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

Another option if you are just looking to move files back and forth is FolderShare, it's free and works on both Mac and PC.

7. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

If you want the best there is, and don't mind paying money for it, the answer to your question is Timbuktu.