Gotta love the irony

Discussion in 'Community' started by MattG, Jul 27, 2005.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Trying to fix a friend's Windows laptop. It is so inundated with Spyware and other assorted crap, that I cannot even work for 2 minutes without the machine logging itself out.

Now, I'm trying to download Microsoft Anti-Spyware on my Mac so I can burn it to a CD and install it on the Windows machine. Apparently, Microsoft will not let you download Anti-Spyware on a non-Windows machine, as it has to "validate" your copy of Windows before you can download it.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ah well, that's 50% of the computers running Windows that will never be able to run MS Anti Spyware :rolleyes:
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    MS always does such a good job......thats pretty funny though

makes me wonder, if in the end MS will actually want spyware/viruses to continue, because if they end up having the best Anti-Virus/Spyware tools people will want to use that, and that means that people wouldn't be able to pirate copies of Windows who want to run this software.....hmmm.....
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think they only started validating earlier this week for 'legal' copies of Windows. If you try it and it's a dodgy copy, you can show MS your proof of purchase and tell them where you bought it and they'll give you a copy free. Or if you can't show them proof but can say where you got it, they'll charge you a reduced fee for a copy - under £100.

I remember having to do this when I was helping a friend with PC problems. I had to download the virus patch on my Mac since the virus was preventing any attempts to get to the anti-virus sites to do so...