Gov. Bush touts Christian-based program for schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 10, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like more of that Promise Keepers BS. I thought those guys were defunct.

First the Schaivo Micheal-killed-his-wife crap and now this? How are Floridians putting up with it?

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Floridians (no offense) aren't known for their brightness. Hanging chads anyone?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What a horrible generalization. And I'm constantly hearing how liberals call everyone in red states stupid...

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Pander to the base, build support to be President. You know everyone in the Bush family wants their chance to cash in.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Nah, I'm just joking around, don't get your dander up. ;)

The state is full of morons though. :p

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I never have understood Promise Keepers...if you want to be a good father, stay at home with your kids instead of being gone on the rallies or whatever.

And Floridians are old retired people, the young people are there to cater to them. So it's basically a very conservative state.

BTW notice how the Bush investigation into what happened with Schiavo's initial heart-attack (or whatever it was) kind of silently ended? Find some closure people!

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe that was the concept -- the best way for some of those men to be good fathers was to stay away from home as much as possible.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh I was just kidding too, no need to get defensive. ;)

It's still a horrible thing to say though. :p

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oooo now THAT'S pretty cynical. :p

I wonder how successful Jeb will be at getting this pig to fly. It's hard to believe there's not a secular alternative organization he could have turned to had he wanted.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Of course I was only kidding. ;) :p

BTW, pigs can fly. If you have enough of the right kind of faith, they grow wings.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Every last one of them is. :)

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My Aunt was living there. She and her friends couldn't stand Bush. Remember Gore actually won that state by a few hundred votes. It's just that a lot of them didn't like Kerry either. Have somebody good run against Jeb and he will lose. Run another Liberal that they don't like, and let Jeb do as his Brother does so well, wearing his Bible on his sleeve, and that's how you get a Republican back in office. Even if he supports cutting Medicare, Privatizing Social Security, jailing doctors who perform euthanasia, and all those other things older people really care about.

A lot of people are actually Democrats. They just don't realize it. Thanks to both the Neocons and the Liberals.

14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I only know one person who is/was a promise keeper. My uncle was disowned at 19 because he was a crazed coke dealer, theif, and a liar. He would steal from my grandparents, etc.

At 30 something he "found Jesus", and has since become the nicest, most thoughtful person I've ever known. The family took him back. He's been married to one woman faithfully for 25 years and is an excellent father. He always took his family with him to the rallies, and they made a long family weekend out of the events.

The amazing part is, since finding religion, his family is very prosperous. They spend two weeks a year building homes for the poor in impoverished parts of Central America. The entire time they wear one set of clothes, as their luggage is full of clothes/supplies/first aid kits that they give away. At Christmas, they adopy poor families and fully fund their x-mas instead of giving eachother presents.

The world could use more people like that. Instead of just talking about the problems we have (like poverty), he goes out there and tries to fix them.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

what the ... is a promise keeper thing ? somebody want to clear that up ?

i mean i get freaked out by those mormons with their suits and missions who are around in summer in front of shopping centers from time to time or those other who are shouting whole parts of the bible in the town center while waving with dubious flyers and bibles over their heads (i was _this_ close to call the police because of those)
    it's sad how in other countries it seems to be normal for every little christian group to have their special school stuff etc., sure we had religious edu in school (about all different big religions) but it didn't stop us from using the new testaments as throwable 'weapons' during brakes (only beaten by the slightly heavier music book

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I love the political forums. We get the most interesting "contextual" google ads ^_^

Here is the one I got at the end of this thread. kinda scary:

Anyone wanna enter his name and email address? :p

(It links to: http://religion.coffeehousetheology.com/)

Attached Files:

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

In addition, they tip well. I was a waiter in DC during one of the big Promise Keeper thingies. They decended en masse to the restaurant, ate quietly (and uncomfortably as they felt like everyone was lookin' at 'em funny) and then tipped 20% all around.

I think it's great when people get their lives together and when people give to others and try to help the world and their community. I just wish that for most people it didn't require silly superstitions. Still, certainly better than being a lying coke dealer.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

promisekeepers.org is a christian based men's organization designed to help men become better fathers and husbands.

I've heard the Mormons have a tough time of it in Europe. I was in Lyons a number of years ago and met two mormon missionaries who said that the most common response to their pamphlets was, "What part of the catholic church is this?" I think they have a lot more success in Latin America though.

Yeah, the whole evangelizing thing really gets old after awhile. Especially since the evangelicals are mostly fire and brimstone and god's love as opposed to doing good deeds like jesus did. Religion is fine for those who need it but it should never be forced on anyone via the education system.

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

some of us atheists tip 20% or more. fwiw.

also fwiw -- i think the best tippers generally are the ones who've waited tables. i think it should be a conscription thing for 2 months. you learn humility :)

20. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I do;)

Yeah, I work a tip job and the best tips are from servers, bartenders, etc..

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

surely you mean after mass...

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Of course. I think they were all told to be on good behavior so as to fend off any potential criticism (of which there was plenty) of their meeting and ethos.

Restaurant workers make the best tippers, no doubt. On the other hand, I think that for most people who've worked in restaurants and no longer do, each year that they're out they lose a percent or so and eventually settle into being good rather than great tippers.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

thx ... i'm pretty sure there are organizations for everything

pretty much all churches/religions have problems, even catholic church but they at least have the advantage of rather, atypical, local youth organizations and the sheer amount of presence (through tradition) something the "evangelics" (all the protestants are thrown together normally ;) ) don't have ... at least not here in austria and we are not that different from france or italy in terms or religion, perhaps we have more muslims

especially when i hear phrases like "evangelic railway station" or "evangelic pommes frites" (about fancy formed fries) from my father it's pretty clear that the sides are still not speaking that good of each other after all the years

i second that, and that's why i'm for a universial ethical education lessons isntead of those (rather wasted) christian orientated ones currently in our school systems (seperated into "normal" classes and soemtimes 2-3 classes of "evangelics" for the whole school, the muslims and everybody else gets those hours off), it simply is seperating ppils more than it brings them together
    and it shouldn't made as easy as it is now , it's normally one of the "free A subjects"