Gov. Criticizes Legislators as 'Girlie Men'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 18, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the "what was he thinking?" department...

In a speech in Ontario, he urges voters to 'terminate' at the polls those lawmakers who refuse to approve his state budget plan.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger mocked his opponents in the California Legislature on Saturday as "girlie men," and called upon voters to "terminate" them at the polls in November if they don't pass his $103-billion budget.

Using tough rhetoric that borrowed from his days as a bodybuilder and actor, the governor said state lawmakers are telling "lies" and are "back to their old habits" after a post-recall burst of bipartisan collaboration.

Legislators, he said at a rally in the food court of the Ontario Mills shopping center, are "part of a bureaucracy that is out of shape, that is out of date, that is out of touch and that is definitely out of control in Sacramento."

Schwarzenegger added, "They cannot have the guts to come out there in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you. I want to represent those special interests: the unions, the trial lawyers'…. I call them girlie men. They should get back to the table, and they should finish the budget."

Democratic lawmakers, gay and lesbian advocates and feminist groups bristled over the governor's comments, which were greeted with sustained applause by hundreds of people who were invited to the rally through automated phone calls put out by Schwarzenegger's camp.

The governor used the "girlie men" reference twice in a 16-minute speech aimed at pressuring the Legislature to pass his budget, now 17 days late. The remarks were apparently references to an old "Saturday Night Live" skit parodying Schwarzenegger. Comedians Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon played "pumped-up" bodybuilders with Austrian accents who dismissed anyone without a muscled torso as a "girlie man."

Though the four leaders in the Senate and Assembly are men, women head some of the Legislature's most influential committees, ranging from Appropriations to Energy. The California Legislative Women's Caucus website lists 33 members — more than one-fourth of the Legislature.

Senate President Pro Tem John Burton (D-San Francisco) said he was "nonplused" by Schwarzenegger's comment.

"I don't know what the definition of 'girlie man' is. As opposed to his being a he-man?" Burton asked. "I can't think of a way to have the he-man and the girlie men join hands around the Capitol and sing 'Kum Ba Ya.' "

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez (D-Los Angeles) said, "Those are the kinds of statements that ought not to come out of the mouth" of the governor.

"He says he's going to 'terminate' members in November? I really don't know what he means by that. That's not funny any more," Nuñez said.

...​

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arnold18jul18,1,6443246.story

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

and WHY did Maria Shriver marry him, exactly?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Fantastic! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wait, please tell me that you don't think he did something wrong. He made a comment about a skit on saturday night, and that is wrong. Fact is, he is right. THe scum bags rumming that legislature are out of control, and need someone to ring them in.

Oh, my program did not get funded, so I am going to hold up the hold budget. People are so damn selfish that they can't see the forrest for the trees.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Did you *read* his comments? "girlie-man" It is sexist for one; name calling for two; and completely inappropriate, for three. Not sure what people were expecting when they hijacked the governor's office and threw him in.... but usually actions like that are about people *not* thinking...

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Musta been a week for homophobic slurs.

I was driving around Friday, and decided to see what idiocy Rush Limbaugh was up to. To my horror, he hit a new low by describing Kerry and Edwards on the campaign trail as "two guys who can't keep their hands off each other." He claimed Kerry was tousling Edwards' hair, that they've been caressing each others' faces, and even started to say that they've been cupping each others behinds before thinking better of it and stopping mid-sentence.

He also went on to say that Teresa Kerry winces whenever husband John looks in her direction, as if to say, "Don't touch me."

Really nice. Can't fight 'em on the issues, so let's make them out to be gay lovers, sexually creepy, or some other sewer-level cheap shot. :mad:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's all they've got left, poor things.

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL...

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

[sarcasm]
    Yes, it's terrible to be direct about it. It's much better to skirt each issue or apply faint innuendo to the situation, so that everyone can ignore it.
    [/sarcasm]

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What? It's not like he told anyone to 'go eff yourself'. If we aren't going to get outraged by that, or by Dennis Miller making gay jokes about the Democratic candidates while introducing the President at a campaign stop, then why would anyone get upset about Arnold's statements here? :cool:

Anyway, can you imagine the volume of the right wing echo chamber if any Democrat had dared to suggest that a lawmaker be 'terminated'? I'd need earplugs to keep down the din!

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yeah, right. Between Arnold and Dick, Republican political dialogue is reaching new heights!

And what's "skirting the issue" if it's not "faint innuendo"? :rolleyes:

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We knew the man was sexist even before he ran for governor, and it didn't seem to make any difference then and I have an idea it won't now. A lot of people voted for him enthusiastically just the same, including a great many women. (Ladies, could you kindly explain this to us poor befuddled men?)

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'd love to but I'm completely clueless on the issue. I certainly didn't vote for him and was completely against him getting in. On principle of the whole recall being a load of you-know-what and on his personal qualifications and his past behavior.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Skirting the issue would be not addressing it at all, a matter of degree, in contrast to faint innuendo. :D

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

just out of curiosity, to exactly which programs are you referring, and who are these legislators holding up the process?

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That, and a few 'scripts for Oxycontin.

It's usually the squeaky wheel that needs the grease. Anyone wonder why Rush has had three failed marriages and to find his last wife he had to dredge the internet?

Miller was great on SNL and on Dennis Miller Live; I have no idea what happened to him. I guess it's hard trying to keep on the bleeding edge of comedy when you hit 50, but Carlin's kept up. Miller's not so much funny anymore as he is angry.
    He used to be able to blend the two brilliantly and you got the feeling his rants' anger were attributable to histrionics rather than genuine disgust.

Whoops.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I consider his remarks to be a slur against women everywhere. To use the phrase girlie-man to insult someone show that the insulter considers women to be lesser humans (otherwise they wouldn't consider it to be an insult).

Arnold is not on SNL, nor is he in a movie. He's not at a premiere or anywhere else where clowning around with risque humour is going to work. He's speaking as Governor of California on official business and should be a little more serious and respectful.

It's one thing for South Park or Howard Stern to make Jewish jokes, it'd be quite another if Dick Cheney got up and started paraphrasing their bits at fundraisers to insult Hollywood.

You're right, those goddamn GOP lawmakers need to stop holding up the budget!
    I didn't think I'd see you come out so strongly against the Republicans.

20. sethypoo macrumors 68000

He wowed her with his mighty pectorals.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

LOL.

I don't know if that would work the other way 'round, though. Would you marry a Republican girl just because she's got a "mighty chest"? :D

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You mean like the idiots lined up to marry Brittany Spears?

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to mention the ones who think Coulter is 'hot'.

The funny part to me is that liberals are forced to apologize for these kinds of remarks, but conservatives are allowed to say that it makes them feel better to cuss out their opponents and that's ok with the same moralizers that condemn Whoopi Goldberg. And remember, these are the same 'family values' and 'changing the tone' crowd that has produced a moralizer who's also a big stakes gambler, a talk show host with a drug addiction, a VP with a potty-mouth problem, preachers (and speakers of the house) committing adultery, and anti-gay remarks to campaign crowds, and now add Arnold's sexist comments to that list.

Yet Janet's boob shows up on TV and suddenly the world is about to end. Oh and they were riding Kerry for saying the 'F' word only a few months ago? Yeah, politics as usual. Like they say, you don't want to see how sausage or politics is made! :eek:

24. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

FWIW, the Governor was officially unrepentant today.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arnold19jul19,1,6902000.story

The "girlie men" comments — which Schwarzenegger borrowed from an old "Saturday Night Live" routine that poked fun at him — had drawn rebukes from Democrats and female activists who said the phrase was sexist and demeaning.

Stutzman called the reaction overblown and said that Schwarzenegger saw no need to either apologize or repeat it Sunday. "I think everyone heard it pretty clear yesterday," he said. ​

Now I'm left trying to digest the phase "Democrats and female activists." Thanks a lot, LA Times.

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Personally I'd love to see more of this.

It bothers me to no end the kind of pussyfooting that goes on in American politics. There's such venom in the adds already I'd be more comfortable if these guys'd actually have the cojones to be cussing each other out in person rather than inferrence character assassination voicovers with images of crying children, Hitler, etc.

Have any of you ever watched the Canadian or British version of CSPAN? The House of Commons can get pretty damn rowdy. I think it's a measure of how surreal Politics is for the average American that there's not only a double standard (one for Dem. "Intellectuals" and one for Repub. "Cowboys") but there's an unreasonable expectation that these fops are somehow greater than ourselves.

Newsflash: In a government that's supposed to be "By The People and For The People" The politicians SHOULD NEVER BE AN ELITE OF ANY KIND.