Gov. Perry caught in embarrassing faux pas with open microphone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 3, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How did I miss this one?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/062105_local_govperry.html

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Meh, see, now things like this don't really bother me that much. Everyone has a right to get mildly pissed off now and again. :)

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

True, and I'm not so much outraged as I am amused at how people with public personas can behave when they think nobody is watching.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, true. :) It's a good story, mofo! :p :eek: :D Ooops, that wasn't directed at you personally. ;)

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Repeat after me, there is no such thing as a closed mic. :D

Being involved in post & production I ran into "private" conversations coming in loud in clear in the control room on more than one occasion 'cause talent forgot they were wired up. Or, worse yet, stuff going out over the air that shouldn't have 'cause talent didn't think their mic was still open.

Lethal

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And certainly without any malice or intent.

Gotta remember that one. "Without malice or intent."

Taking it from back to front, I guess that means he didn't know what he was saying, and if'n he did, he didn't mean it anyway. Just what we'd expect from a politician.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Yea, heard about this in the A-AS a few weeks ago. Even made ripples at CafePress.

My philosophy - Screw Perry. Kinky for govenor!!! :cool:

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd vote for him in a Texas minute! Musician, novelist, humorist, Jewish cowboy, smokes really big cigars... what else could a voter want in a governor?

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Gov. "Pass the biscuits, Pappy" O'Daniel made it with music; maybeso the Kinkster can, as well. Plus, the Kinkster can write books! Without ghostwriters! That puts him ahead of a bunch of folks who have inhabited Major Residences. :)

'Rat

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

[​IMG]

Thought you fellas might like that...

EDIT - Found this in the Kinkster's forums

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wait, was he calling himself a mofo? Or implying that they thought he was a mofo? Meh, I'm waiting for another good Bushism. Funny stuff though.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If Kinky is elected governor, I may have to change my mind entirely about Texas. ;)

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You too? I didn't know that.

But of course you're right. I've heard some funny things come over the control room speaker...often from politicians who are mic'd up in the studio, who don't realize that one of their political opponents is also in the building and might walk into the control room at any moment. :D

Yeah, politicians are allowed to have their own feelings, but those faux pas certainly reveal their true natures, as opposed to the PR images they are always selling of themselves.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

IJ, I wouldn't suggest wandering off down here to Terlingua, right now; it was 115 over at the Lonesome Dove movie set "town", yesterday afternoon. Odds are, though, that you'd be more than just pleasantly surprised at what this Big Bend area and its people are like. We assay pretty high in artists, poets, pickers and advanced degrees.

:), 'Rat

15. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can skip 115, and if I had any real desire for ungodly hot, I could find it in our local deserts.

I'm sure parts of Texas are quite agreeable, but I'm sure I'm not the first to tell you that the state's reputation isn't exactly the nation's gold standard. And before you say it, I know California's isn't, either. Still, I expect one of these days I'll climb in the airplane and find out what Texas is about. Maybe when Kinky is elected governor. Or when hell freezes over. Whichever comes first. ;)

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, if you like music, Austin is the place. Whatever sort you like. There is an incredible amount of small-club goings-on every night. Whatever you go see, you're missing two other good bands that night. Country, rock, blues, zydeco, conjunto, oldies, jazz--and on up to some pretty good classical stuff.

And barbecue to die for...

Tubing/canoing on the rivers; fishing on the Gulf as well as in all the myriad lakes.

And Austin/San Antonio Tex-Mex cooking...

I dunno. Most of us don't pay any mind to politics from one day to the next. It doesn't affect friendliness. The majority of our cops are more into keeping the peace than enforcing the law, which suits us just fine.

Back when Hondo Crouch bought the ghost town of Luckenbach, the official town motto was, "Everybody's somebody in Luckenbach." Here in Terlingua, when Gov. White was on a tour of backwater areas, he walked into Uncle Joe's cafe: "Howdy! I'm Mark White, your governor!" Uncle Joe wiped hamburger grease off his hands, stuck his big paw out and replied, "Howdy! In Terlingua, you can be anybody you want to!"

Most folks down here don't worry about locking their doors...

'Rat

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm down for a trip to Austin anytime Robert Earl Keen's gonna be playin...

18. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

From what I hear, it's an island in a red sea called Texas, yes. ;)

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Capital of Joplin County.

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Ahhhhh...now there is one Aggie that I like...

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

In his early, starting-out days, I booked Robert Earl at Snavely's* folk music club on 6th St, playing "folk muzak" during happy hour. Helluva 12-string picker. A couple of years later I ran into him while wandering the Street. He said he was gonna give up on the music. Frustration. I gave him some ideas from stuff I'd learned from a music teacher, and I guess it took. Next thing I saw was a newspaper clip about him having put a band together and gone to Nashville. Gave me a good feeling.

'Rat

* According to Steve Fromholz** and Dan McCrimmon, Snavely was a one-armed snake whose lifelong ambition was to deal blackjack in Vegas. His problem, aside from only one hand, was that with no forehead, his green eyeshade kept falling over his eyes...

** Steve wrote (and recorded) "I'd Have To Be Crazy". Willie's recording made Steve a thousandaire. :D

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

:eek: See, this is why I never understood why some people in Texas don't care about global warming. Still don't know what they deal is with it, but that's HOT! And I grew up in the desert. It's weird, because I'm just a short trip to Seattle, which is pretty liberal. It rained today. We could use a little global warming.

Least it was sunny on the 4th.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

solvs, where do you get the idea we don't care about Globular Worming? Some of us aren't heavily into the idea that the warming is all the fault of the US...

The Texas high-temperature record occurred in northeast Texas back in 1937-ish. Somewhere around 130 degrees F.

Terlingua? Heck, I've seen numerous summer days of 118-119. We were gathered up on the porch of the Study Butte store on one of those days, drinking beer, when we noticed that one of the group had sorta disappeared. He wasn't found until a tourist went to get a bag of ice from the ice-storage box. Passed out, yeah, but quite comfy and cool...

But that's not all that hot. The deal here is, water freezes at 60F. :D

From what I've read of the expected pattern of this warming, daytime highs won't increase over a degree or two. The nighttime lows won't be as low. Seems to me that would expand the growing seasons in the northern grain-producing areas of Russia and Canada. More food for the starving poor that folks worry about.

Folks expect "climate". What they get is "weather". :) This here is a desert, right? Last year we got 40" of rain instead of our usual seven. Terlingua Creek commonly has flow maybe 15 days a year. Last year, over 220 days of flow. Had four floods in two weeks in September; the first was a near-record, leaving me with two miles of road to rebuild and necessitating a re-route of the power line. Glad I'd sold the mobile home of the attached picture, back some 12 years ago.

Attached Files: