Government wants to ban suicide websites/chat rooms

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jimN, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I'm a great believer in letting those who want to end their lives just get on with it. You have an incredible lack of imagination if you can't work out what to do without resorting to a website. Plus research shows that publicity does not change actual suicide rates but merely changes the method (i think that J. Deeks in oxford did work on this). The people who turn up in the droves to A&E each week will continue to attend whether these sites are there or not. Plus the samaritans could save a lot of time just by stationing someone in the room and talking them all out of it at once.

I don't disagree with the regulation of paedophilia and websites that assist in the sale of drugs or pirated material (i for one don't agree with this), but there comes a time when there's too much interference. You only have to look in the speculation threads regarding tomorrow that this place isn't terribly healthy - maybe the government will restrict MR access because of it's ability to raise the blood pressure (and access to the apple site tomorrow when the inevitable disappointment brings everyone's mood down).

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hi jim -- welcome to the poli area. it is standard practice down here to provide links to reputable sources when either making a claim or referencing a story. i'd not heard about any such proposed ban and would like to read the article before commenting, as i'm sure would others.

thanks!

3. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

Here you go:
    http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,1589332,00.html

Picked this up off the channel 4 website where they are running a poll. Sadly am not registered to talk about it there. I can't find a reference to the deeks article i'm thinking of (and for some reason i've neglected to include my references on my own work) but it exists and was published in the BMJ. (here it is:Effects of a drug overdose in a television drama on presentations to hospital for self poisoning: time series and questionnaire study.
    BMJ. 1999 Apr 10;318(7189):972-7 Hawton K, Simkin S, Deeks JJ, O'Connor S, Keen A, Altman DG, Philo G, Bulstrode C.)
    This is known as the Werther effect and is well documented.

Thanks for the welcome, hope it lasts.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

ah here is me not being political really in the political forum

i want my suicide circle websites if they ban suicide websites in general would that mean fan sites about suicide movies?

like this kick ass website?

http://suicideclub.baptism-of-blood.net/

i would not be able to stand that at all

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the link. one thing i learned is that it's the Home Office, not the US gov't, looking at such a ban. useful information! :)

i'd love to see research on whether suicide pacts actually increase the likelihood at a serious attempt, or affects the results.

6. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

Sorry my government, not yours!

To be honest people who want to die will succeed almost everytime, and the people who don't want to die occasionally do. Not sure if there is any work on pacts, you could always email the guys from that article, they're based in oxford and were nice to me when i got in touch all those years ago (about 5 i think). I find suicide an interesting subject - it has some interesting legal ramifications.

It's a leader on the more4 news tonight, so evidently channel 4 are quite excited about this. Suppose it's something nice and light to lift the low mood everyone has after watching the chaos in pakistahn!