Government warns of Terrorist Attacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Jan 31, 2004.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/30/terror.threat/index.html

Let me rephrase my original posting a bit:
    My point was that you never see the government shutting down American flights. Since they only recently started grounding planes recently, I have noticed that they have only been grounding planes from other countries. I was saying, in my previous rant, that the government is picking on the other countries in the world and putting our problems off on them. French flights have been grounded many times since they decided not to ally with the US.

By the way - I did read the entire article, and the blame was not expressed literaly, but it was more the fact that they only ground planes from other countries. This strikes me as a sort of blame on othe other countries.

I was making an apparently futile attempt to be sarcastic about how the other countries cause the US problems. I was saying that the other countries really don't cause us problems, but the US puts blame on the other countries.

Thank you.

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Bah. Spending any time worrying about this is a waste and gives terrorists all the power. I really couldn't care much less about elevated terror alerts, these days. If I have the misfortune of being near the target when we are attacked than I'll try to protect myself, but I'm not letting this create the slightest hiccup in my routine.

Dan

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Government warns of Terrorist Attacks

I think you need to calm down a bit - and also remember that there were recently 4 planes that had terrorists on them, all with in the US....I think it was back on 9/11/01....:rolleyes:

This is a global problem, regardless of who the terrorists are - there are even American terrorists. So don't go condemning the rest of the world for your problems - you'll only make it worse.

D

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Luckily France has been cooperating on the threat. I agree that it is a global problem. It is only through the use of intelligence and cooperation of the International community that we will eventually conqueror terrorism.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Conqueror terrorism? Its not a simple solution and taking an offensive position and not trying to work through the issues is only going to make things worse.

Look at it this way - paraphrased from a Marine General recently - America has about 300 years of history and we're dealing with countries and cultures that have 3000 years of history. Its not a matter of just telling people what to do. We all live on this one planet together and our biggest problem is getting along with each other.

The US has had a profound (this doesn't mean good or bad) impact on world events. Our culture is permeating all corners of the globe - and its not right for everyone or what everyone wants. Cultural diversity is great - its only unfortunate that terrorism has become the way to fight against something that really can't be quantified or singled out.

Fall out from the Cold War is also part of this - but the sooner people can stop taking emotional or morally higher stands and just work towards a better understanding of the issues, its going to keep happening.

D

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Re: Government warns of Terrorist Attacks

Well... IF you had actually READ the article you'd see that no one is placing any blame anywhere. The U.S. received intelligence information and informed the parties involved. Your comments are misplaced and quite ignorant of the situation. Read the article before posting an angry response completely devoid of fact.

As stated above terrorism is a GLOBAL problem.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Notice how its always an Air France flight?

My friend brought this to my attention.

And its never 'delta' or 'American airlines'... its always a forign companys flights...

My friend things besides 'terrorism' stopping these flight they want people to take the american companies flights.

The SAME people got screwed over... TWICE. :confused:

If the next flight cancled is also Air France I'm calling full blown conspiracy.

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Has anybody noticed that these "terror alerts" seem to ALWAYS come up when the administration is taking heat on something related to the fight on terror. And it always seems that the administration successfully takes the headlines away from the President and replaces it with Terror alerts that they claim are credible, and claim are specific enough to warrent a caution about bridges, trains, certain flights, but not specific enough to warrent an arrest, or search for a specific person. Hmmm. This latest one was when the President was taking heat about the lack of WMD and the recent events on 60Min. interview and the probe that congress wants into the intellegence reports. If you were to look back into the news archives you would see a similar event happening every time. So one of two things is happening...either the Administraion is always taking heat for screwing up or else the administration is creating these terror events to divert attention from themselves...either way they are screwing up. Interesting that we are hurting foreign flights by these cancellations, and not our own. Has there been a flight cancelled originating from the US since Sept 11 settled down? Some things to think about.

Just my thoughts though!

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

WHOA! I sure hope that we haven't gotten that corrupt yet. That's almost straight out of 1984! Big Brother is at war with East Asia, or Eurasia, and while there is warfare occurring, it is trivial except that it is used to keep the citizens calm and to unite them against an enemy that is not the government.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I do too! Just things to think about :confused:

11. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I'm always amazed at the amount of conspiracy theorists in the world. :D

I'm fairly skeptical of some of the thoughts here, as the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one most of the time.

12. chriscorcoran macrumors newbie

Ok I am tired of hearing all this stuff from the government that tells us to secure our computers and not to open email attachments. Why should we listen to the people who use Windows on their systems? I mean come on! Windows has to be the most unsecured OS out there! Why wouldn’t they use Linux or MacOS X? They both have better security records. I am tired of having the government tell me what I need to do to secure my computer when they don’t know how to secure theirs! While I know that the people who run these networks are probably among the best in there respective fields why would they use Windows?

Here is another thing from my options as a tax payer. Why does the government seem to always use this proprietary technology? I went to the post office the other day and instead of some pc the postal employee was using some weird Unisys terminal. Why can’t they just use a PC or a Mac?

One more thing before some NSA agents busts though my windows and take me away. I am sure you know the government rule that they have to buy from the lowest bidder. Can we make a reprieve from that rule when buying technology products? I mean what you’re really paying for when you buy a computer is quality.

Ok so let’s see what you thing...

-Chris

13. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

I really think that in this day and age there are no limits to what the government is doing behind our backs. Everything can be kept secret, there is nothing completely and totally exposed anymore. Everything is a secret nowadays.

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Conspiracy theorists are some pretty scary folk. I know, I work with one. The guy is one step from the edge. Know what I mean?
    Besides, I don't think the government is smart enough to be that secretive. At least not anymore.

15. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Ummm, you do actually read the news right? The problem with today society is that NOTHING is kept secret, everyone has camera's, digital recording devices, cell phones... plus we live in a society where money rules and the only thing more valuable than silence is selling your story...

16. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

After a while I feel I have to ignore this kind of thing. I live in NYC, and saw 9/11 first hand from my building's rooftop. It was horrible. But I'm not going to let it rule my life. I HAVE to go about my business as usual, or else the terrorists really have won. Of course I'm always cautious, but I refuse to be scared by this.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

18. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Don't you think the guy in the WH is a conspiracy theorist?

Saddam is working with Osama bin Ladin, Iraq is going after nuclear material in Africa, Iraq is going to use chemical weapons against US troops . . .

Next, Bush you will tell us that J. Timberlake planned to rip off J Jackson's whatever. (Well, I guess he'd be right on that one.)

19. wwworry macrumors regular

when they start talking about increased "chatter" it's usually news reports about administration failings. "Raise the alert level. Rally around the president!" because we know that anyone who disagrees with the president is probably in favor of Osama :rolleyes: