Gov't Shuts Down For First Time Since 1995

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Sep 30, 2013.

?

Who's Fault is the Government shutdown ?

1. Republican

102 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. Democrat

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. President

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Congress

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. macrumors P6

Peace

2. macrumors 68020

in short:

Blame the Republicans!!!

I mean, their is more then one way to skin a cat (ACA), yet they seem to use a beginners guide and have no imagination to think of another way.

Albert Einstein must have known the future when he made this quote:
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

3. thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

The republicans should have left obamacare off the table to keep the government running.

/story

4. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd say it is 90% the Republican's fault. The other 10% of the blame goes to Democrats for bending to the Republicans so much that they think they can get away with this.

5. macrumors 68000

Sydde

It cannot be congress' fault, I mean, they are still getting paid. When the Joint Chiefs get their checks cut off, then we will see some action.

6. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I'll take your second point a step further. Obama's constant capitulation to Republican demands definitely helped to foster the mess they've gotten us into.

His inability to stand strongly against their obstruction, as well as his weak support for progressive policies makes him a C- president IMO.

However, in comparison to the D- president who preceded him and the F- House of Representatives, Obama comes off looking relatively good.

7. macrumors 68020

Solomani

what if al-Qaeda plotted to deal a big terror attack during this Government shutdown? will the relevant agencies and security forces still be intact to deal with that kind of threat?

8. thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

Supposedly issues regarding "national security" won't be affected.

9. macrumors 68020

Squilly

What's gonna happen to the economy tomorrow morning? Big crash? That's all I'm worried about...

10. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably although the stock market has been going down a bit for a while because of the possibility of a shutdown so it may already be factored in there.

11. macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Everyone is to blame...

The Rs want to repeal the ACA...

The Ds refuse to pass a budget. (It is legally required to pass a budget every year... It's been what, 3 or 4 since one has passed?!) If Reid and co could get a budget passed, then these CRs wouldn't be necessary.

Now granted, the house may want to hold up any budget, but I don't recall Reid making any huge push to get one through.

And Obama just stands on the sidelines.

Blame goes to them all.

Vote them all out.

12. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I have to disagree with you. I think he gets an "A-", and, not just for trying. Despite an absolute torrent of negativity generated by --whoever they are--, he still has a remarkable string of accomplishments, including, as of today (Tuesday - after midnight Eastern Time), the start of Obamacare online insurance exchanges.

Sure, after Roosevelt/Truman until Reagan, the tax system was much fairer. The U.S. needs someone now who is willing to stand up to the big money, like Roosevelt. But, Obama has been a tremendous crisis President so far and I think history will look very favorably on him- at least so far.

13. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

How are people blaming this on the president? He never got any bill to his desk because the house refused to pass the bill the senate sent to them.

14. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Your 401k and all your financial investments will be in the toilet.

15. thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

16. macrumors 68020

Anyone want to start placing over/under bets on how many seats the Republicans lose in 2014?

17. Technarchy, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

macrumors 603

Technarchy

I take no issue with the GOP targeting sensible across the board cuts to get our spending under control. This has to happen sooner or later. Spending cant go up forever, and all the cuts can't be in the military only.

But to hold up the entire government over a single piece of legislation...That's just bad politics.

Now lets say Obamacare actually works as intended, and they have to go back to their districts and explain why they wanted it overturned...That's a few seats lost right there.

18. macrumors 68020

Sounds like something out of Faux Noise.

19. macrumors 6502a

shinji

It was the House GOP. It's also pointless because their demands aren't going to make it through the Senate, nor can they overcome Obama's inevitable veto. This is a show meant to appeal to red state Tea Party voters.

20. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

21. thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

I was gonna add that but forgot. If a Mod can add it that would be great.

22. macrumors 65816

I've been saying for a while (privately) that if anything destroys the US, it will be our two parties. Even predicting it, I still can't believe it.

Also to blame are to many generations of continuous stability. Had we a clue how bad collapse felt, no one would be risking it (nor allowing others to risk it) for so frivolous a cause.

23. macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, we have lobbyists on both sides.

But at the moment, it looks like the super rich and insurance companies on the GOP side will not budge, GOP members will not budge either. Because they know they'll get paid. The American people be damned

24. macrumors 68020

applesith

I blame all of Congress. None of them get along. Neither side is willing to negotiate. They get paid during this and nothing really ever affects them. They are out of touch and do not have an incentive to be productive or actually do their job. They all start out campaigning that they will be different and will fight the machine. Well they all just become part of the useless bureaucracy that only knows how to spend money that doesn't exist. It's all a joke.

25. macrumors 603

mrkramer

When was the last time the house sent a budget that they actually thought had a chance of going anywhere in the senate? According to the constitution:
    Which I'm pretty sure means budgets have to start in the house, so the senate democrats can't do too much without the house first sending them a workable bill.