Gov't Worker Discount at Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gemio17, Dec 2, 2003.

1. gemio17 macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone knows whether you can get the gov't worker discount at an actual Apple Store or is it only online that you can buy through this program?? It's pretty similair to the edu discount I believe-any of you students go to the Apple Store and are able to pull that discount string?? (Specifically I want to buy a PB and possibly another iPod but am thinking to go somewhere other than NYC where the taxes aren't so high, like Jersey-I need all the discount I can get!)

2. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Nope. I asked but was told it is web only. Had to go that route to buy my PB.

3. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

yeah all you can get from the retail store is no tax. for the full discount you need to do it online

4. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

gov't discount

Well, I know for a fact that that is untrue. I purchased an iBook 933 at the King of Prussia Apple Store a few days ago using the Gov't discount.

The only thing that happens at the Apple Store is that any RAM upgrades are done at extra cost. For example, I couldn't "swap-out" the 128MB SO-DIMM for the 512MB. When I left the store, I had the 512 installed and the 128 in the bag. This is, of course, something that they had forgot to tell me before it was installed.

Hickman

5. JulesK macrumors 6502

Have used Gov't discount a number of times at Apple Stores

I've gotten the gov't discount at both the Tysons Corner and Clarendon Apple Stores (both in the Washington, DC suburbs) a number of times over the past 2 years. All I needed to show was a gov't ID (which the store photocopies). The first time, I was told that the ability to get the gov't discount in the store was for a limited time, but that limit either been extended on a continuous basis or has been lifted altogether. Of course, this could be because of all the government employees in the DC area.

6. gemio17 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey all thanks for the info- just a couple more things- does anyone know if you can upgrade the harddrive from the actual apple store, or can you only custom build online? I am really trying to go about this as smart and cheap as possible. Also is the tax in New Jersey is signifigantly less than the tax in NYC? I know there is a diff. just trying to figure out if it is a couple hundred dollars btwn doing it online or buying at a less taxed Apple Store that is around a 30 min. drive away...

7. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

To upgrade the hard drive, I was told that you had to go online as the Apple Stores do not carry them.

Sales tax in NJ is 6%.

Hope that helps.

Hickman

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I assure you, despite the claims of other members, that what I said was true. The Milwuakee store told me, more than once, that they do not process government pricing. This was earlier this year. Perhaps areas in which there are more governemnt employees are different.

Bottom line: Just call ahead and ask.

9. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

yeah same with me - when i asked at cambridgeside, all they said was that i could get it tax-free. i hope you can get it at your store! as foxer said, call ahead

10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I didn't think that Philadelphia had a high concentration of Gov't workers. All I know is that I got the gov't discount at the Apple Store. Call your local store and ask them.

Hickman