GoW on PC - Would it Work?

Discussion in 'Games' started by barr08, Jan 11, 2007.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I was thinking about this earlier, and would be interested in people's thoughts on the subject. Would a port of Gears of War be any good played with a keyboard and mouse? One of the most important and fun features of the game is the cover system. Because of this, it's more slow paced than most PC shooters. Would the port make it faster, or would it remain the same gameplay speed. If it remained the same, it seems like it would be boring with a mouse and a keyboard. If they sped it up, I imagine the cover system would be a little more useless and the game would be less fun.

On the other hand, it would be great to be able to point and shoot at enemies. I think the mouse/keyboard is almost always a better control scheme for a shooter. I'm not sure if it would take very kindly to GoW though.

Just speculating here, let me know what you think.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sure it would work.. just tie the cover button to the right mouse click.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I imagine you could just use, say, the "e" button as the action/cover button and presto... it would work.

Some modders are working on "Gears of UT" for UT2K4, so we might get to try this out sooner then you expect. :)

4. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Right, I get that. I just can't picture myself doing that. Pressing a button or clicking the mouse to do that the a button does in GoW. When I think about that and imagine myself doing it, I feel like some of the fun gets lost in translation.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Perhaps, but GoW clearly works better on larger screens. On the smaller PC monitor it's up against actual revolutionary games like HL2 and it's band of friends.
    I think it's a game best left to consoles.

Actually... I got a free game similar to GoW for my PC years ago. Came with my Geforce 2 Ti graphics card, though supposedly for Geforce 3 cards it still ran fine. You had a shield and a laser and had to dodge behind stuff. 3rd person, forward progressing levels. That was quite fun actually.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved HL2. But I'm not sure how revolutionary it was. It had a great physics system, and some interesting physics puzzles, and the delivery/presentation was top notch. But at the end of the day it was "just" one of the best FPS games I've ever played... but revolutionary? I'm not sure, as I don't think I see any revolution it started.

If the FPS/shooter genre was revolutionized by HL2, then GoW would also be one of those games, meaning it would sit just fine on a PC.

My next HL purchase will be HL2:Ep2 for 360, I wonder how that will be with no k/m.... I'm ready to try it out, as I personally feel console fps control have been improving greatly these recent years.

7. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I havn't played through any HL game, but the gravity gun was pretty new, and if you count gary's mod, I'd say HL2 is one of the more revolutionary games that has come out recently.

Back to GoW. I think I would need to play it on K/M before I decided whether or not it is an effective way to play the game. Just from what I am imagining, for myself at least, I think I would rather play it on the 360.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It was a new gun. But if someone is going to call it revolutionary, I want to see the revolution.

Being as I still consider HL2 to be the best FPS on PC, I just don't see that there was a revolution... if there was there would be games out there just as good as HL2, imho.

As for GoW, you'd really have to play it, I agree. The thing is, you are concentrating on the controls, when you actually play a game for awhile, you forget the controls and it's just the game. In this case, it'd be the same game.

9. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I don't neccesarily think one way or another on the HL2 thing, but in it's defense, you could consider the series, including the original on the 1.6 engine, a revoultion. Think about the modding results that we play today. I play CS:S all the time. Day of Defeat is huge too, and I already mentions Gary's mod. I know modding has been out forever, but it seems to be best on 1.6 or Source engines.

I could be completely off here, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well.. look at it this way then.. games like CoD and CoD2 works pretty well on a PC and a console. Yes, there's no cover system, but that's just another button. You'd get used to using it on a keyboard/mouse pretty quickly I think.

Of course, there are also console-like controlers for PCs. :)