GPS for Macbook ... Bluetooth....Need to buy this week.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Acehigh, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Acehigh macrumors 6502

I am going away and need to buy GPS for travel. I am looking for a Bluetooth one so i wont have to connect wires to the macbook.

Is there one that works in OS X? If not is there one that works in Windows XP? I seen them for Pocket PCs but not for Laptops. Mostly USB for windows XP.

Let me know if anybody done this before.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Check out Garmin.

I do some work for them, but not sure what they have as everything changes day to day...

I know their software is Mac-compatable now, though.

3. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Are you sure about Garmin. I am looking ar the c550 and its software is still for the PC. I did read though in a search on the Garmin Page that they would be developing software for the Mac. That was in January 2006. I looked at a later question and they said that there is still no support for the Mac or Linux. I am still looking for one to buy. I can use a Desktop PC but I have been relying on my Mac more. Would prefer that solution.

Bill......

4. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I got a generic bluetooth GPS off of ebay, and it connects fine. The apple bluetooth wizard says that there's no useable service on it, but ignore that.

Then get yourself a copy of Route 66 And away you go, it should be picked up by the software, no problem. It's great software too.

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

Garmin said in January that they were working on making their softward Mac-compatable, but I don't know if any of it has been released yet. Training Center, the software for the Garmin Forerunner was originally said to be released in the Spring '06, then Summer '06 and has yet to be released. Not sure about the other Garmin software though.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I think most of their stuff is delayed due to the new G2 stuff - anyway, here's a PR:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html

7. buffalo macrumors 65816

I wish they would put out an updated PR since that one is from January, and much of what it says hasn't happened yet. As far as I know, Motion Based is the only "software" compatible with a mac, but all they offer is a Safari plug-in, instead of the application that the PC's get.

8. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

or if u get an upper end GPS then u don't need the bluetooth connectivity as u dont' need to send things back & forth-

i've got the garmin 2200 or something- and it's great
    all the maps are pre-loaded

9. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I think the main thing with GPS and Mac is being able to Update the Maps and add additional POIs as you discover them or changes are made. Garmin has said but has yet to deliver on its January Announcment. So main option at the moment is to run Bootcamp or Parallel to load to the GPS. Unless you can use the Bluetooth feature found on some. Or if all else fails keep a PC Handy...

Bill.....

10. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Route 66 2004 does this, I haven't found any updated maps, but you can put in your own pushpins and it'll save them. You can add a little comment to them and they will be there every time you re-open the application. I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips on PC and this Route 66 seems very similar. It fits my bill perfectly.

11. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

It appears Route 66 Software is out of buisness or at least their web page is down. Is anybody familier with MacGPS Pro from James Associates ; "http://www.macgpspro.com/index.html" ? Thanks!!

Bill.....

12. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

http://www.gps4fun.com/main_route66.php you can buy it there.

The company has moved on to pocket PC's and smartphone GPS only, but they still support the PC and Mac version of their software.

www.66.com is their site. I was just there on saturday, so I know the site exists, but it seems like it's slow right now.