GPS icon when waking up phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bswartz95, Nov 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I can kill every app and I still get the GPS icon when waking the phone up. It stays on for 5-10 seconds then goes away. I thought it was a bad app, but I haven't downloaded any new apps and it occurs even when I force close all apps. It has just started in the past day or two. Anyone else experience this? It cannot be good for battery life.

Verizon iPhone 5. Not jailbroken.

2. JAT
    macrumors 603

You mean the Location arrow icon? Go to Location Services in Settings app to see what apps are using location. Then you can decide if it is a problem or not.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Yes, the location arrow. I've gone through and turned off the location for each app one by one, testing to see which service it was, but no luck. The only way to solve the problem is to turn location service off completely, which I really don't want to do.

----------

Found the culprit.

PASSBOOK! I knew that I didn't download or use a new app, but I did save something to Passbook.

Hopefully someone else can use this information to help them with battery life.

4. macrumors 603

Menel

Known behavior. Described in keynote, how the phone is going to know you are in a place to activate the lock screen shortcut...

Boarding pass if in airport.
    Starbucks card when near your favorite.
    Etc

5. macrumors 6502

Passbook does that so it launches your gift cards when you arrive, say at a Starbucks, so it is ready for use. I disabled that from location services.

6. JAT
    macrumors 603

Geofencing won't take much battery.