Resolved GPS not working on 3g with 4.2.1 and 05.11.07 bb?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bonchien, May 10, 2011.

1. bonchien, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

macrumors newbie

I was tired of GPS not working on my iPhone 3g with 4.2.1 and the ipad base band 06.15.00 so it could be used on TMO, so I picked up a 3g on craigslist that was unlocked and jailbroke. This 3g has 4.2.1 and 05.11.07 base band. The guy who sold it to me assured me GPS worked fine, but it doesn't. It will only triangulate wifi and cell towers and never finds a GPS signal when I try the skobbler GPS app with wifi turned off.

Is there a way to fix GPS without restoring the firmware? Sorry if this is a NOOB question, but I've read for hours and can't find a straight answer. Should I downgrade the firmware to 3.1.2? If so, can I use the official 3.1.2 firmware and unlock/jailbreak with Blackra1n, or do I need to create a custom firmware to downgrade?

Thanks for any advise.

2. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i always thought unlocking a 3G disabled the GPS

3. macrumors 68020

Can't you just get a refund from the guy on CL?

Flashing iPad BB can cause loss of GPS, but that's the only case when that occurs.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I could try that, but don't envision much success. I would rather have a 3g with working GPS. Just figured downgrading the firmware might work, but don't know for sure.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

downgrade didn't help GPS

I went ahead and downgraded to 3.1.2 and jailbroke it with Blackra1n, GPS didn't work. Installed the most recent whited00r firmware, and still no GPS. Maybe jailbreaking is killing GPS, or maybe the GPS chip is dead?

I don't have an AT&T sim, so I can't try it on official firmware.

6. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why would downgrading the OS help? It doesn't change the fact that you're running an iPad baseband...

7. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Read the OP. It states that the OP doesn't have the iPad baseband...

We really gotta get new abbreviations for original post and other person...

8. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I read it too quickly, sorry OP (;))

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it!

I figured it out. The iPhone 3G with the lower base band 05.11.07 had a new back case when I bought it. I guessed that maybe the GPS antenna didn't get installed correctly. So I swapped the back cases between the 3G with base band 06.15.00 and 5.11.07. Now the one with 05.11.07 base band gets GPS positioning :)

Might be a bad antenna in the 06.15.00 iPhone or it just wasn't connected properly. I won't worry about it until there's a way to downgrade or fix the 06.15.00 base band.