GPS on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shadowguy, May 22, 2005.

1. shadowguy macrumors member

Hey everyone. I have been looking for a GPS device to use with my mac mini that I plan on mounting in my car. Now I have only found one compatible device for Mac. But if I go and buy a GPS for Windows, but buy mapping software for the Mac, would that still work? Thanks.

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I would check to see if the Mac software first supports the GPS device that you are keen to buy.

3. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

How would I find that out?

4. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

5. Mcnamara macrumors newbie

Clearly people are being very unhelpful here - If you don't have anything useful to add then don't post!

Maybe I can shed a little light on the subject as I use a GPS device with a powerbook.

I use a Tomtom Bluetooth GPS receiver which I use in conjunction with Route66 mapping software - works brilliantly although can be a bit tricky to set up if you've never done it before. It also works with other programs as well.

I believe most makes of bluetooth GPS receivers will work - just check which NMEA protocol they use, although I think they are all the same standard. I know that USB GPS receivers also work, but have not used any myself.

6. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I believe you can use receivers from Magellan, Garwin, Etc. In the latest issue of Macworld I think there is review or something on GPS devices.

7. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

I can't seem to find anything of that Macworld article.

8. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

Come on. Can no one help me.

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I would love to be able to help Shadowguy - but I'm in the same boat.
    I'd love a GPS that is compatible with my PB... but I am in Australia and a couple of options I've seen in here - are USA or Europe onlyl - not Australia.

Alfa Romeo (Aust) haven't imported the sat-nav for us here... so whilst if I was in Europe I could have bought it pre installed - but alas not option there for me. So now I'm looking around at hand held, or vehicle mounted options... but would love one that allowed synchronisation or update options via my PB.

The search goes on.

10. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

11. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Rayming's TripNav

I'm using Rayming's TripNav with my iBook without problems. It's a bluetooth gps that's fully NMEA compliant. I use it when I go sailing, and it's been a real joy to have all my charts on the Mac as well as a log of where I've been. I'm using NavimaQ software.

12. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. I know of the Route 66 software, which I looked up and it will work with any NMEA compatible reciever. Thats what I am going to do.

13. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

OK, heres whats going down. For those who may be interested, the Microsoft GPS reciever that comes with street and trips is compatible with Route 66 software. It is actually a re-branded Pharos reciever. But it works with NMEA 0183 standards. So I will buy the package AND route 66 software. So now, I will have GPS for both my Mac mini and laptop.

14. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Good deal, do you have details on your car installation. PLease post pics, ect.

15. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

I'll be sure to post when I finish the install.

16. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Why in the world?

Why in the world would anyone want to mount a laptop or a mini with some sort of jury rigged display in their vehicle just for GPS? There are literally dozens of portable GPS systems specifically for use in cars that are far safer to use than a notebook. Granted, software compatibility can be a problem, but many automotive GPS systems do not require a computer to update them.
    Also, planning a trip with a map and pencil and paper may be old fashioned but it can be very efficient and knowing where you are going before you go is a plus.

17. locovaca macrumors regular

I have a Deluo USB GPS and it works without an issue. As other alluded to, you can use just about any USB or Serial (with a Serial to USB adapter) and it will work because they are almost all NMEA compatable.

However, I do caution that GPS software on the Mac is more than lacking, it's downright laughable. Route 66 is by far the biggest piece of crud that I have installed on my Mac. I previously used Street Atlas 2003 (and still do in VPC, albeit slowly), and that just runs circles around Route 66. Things like breadcrumbs, voice navigation, voice control (Try zooming out of your map going 65 MPH with your mouse), even intuitive control with the mouse for easy zooming in and out. Split level maps are a necessity- one level for down to the street, another level to get the general feel of where you are at. And it does it all very quickly.

The problem is that Route 66 has no competition at all, and thus it'll never be improved beyond adding a few streets here and there. So, if all you're looking for is to see where you're at on the map, then go for it, otherwise, you may find that it's a bit lacking in features.

18. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

GPS, MP3 jukebox, DVD player, Wifi internet access.

19. briangig macrumors regular

I used tripnav TN-200(usb) and route 66 on a road trip to FL from MA. the software was ok...if I had bluetooth, I would have gone that route, and the cords got in the way real bad.

20. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

21. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

22. gjhinc macrumors newbie

OSX 10.4 + Route 66 + BT-338

:( Anyone using OSX 10.4 with Route 66 and a GlobalSat BT-338?

Yea... Route 66 has enough problems... I've been using it for a while.... thought I'd try it with the new GlobalSat BT-338. BIG PROBLEMS!!!

The BT-338 GPS works perfectly fine with the GPSUtility (GPSNavX). It reports the real-time position accurately 100% of the time. Of course, GPSUtility only reports latitude and longitude not position on a map.

Route 66 does NOT!!!

It's not a "screen refresh" problem. It's a buffer refresh problem in how Route 66 is reading the data from the "Bluetooth Serial Port". Maybe how Route 66 is handling interrupts, read rate, ... I can only guess. Long and the short of it... when tracking position the mapped position lags behind the real-time position significantly! Eventually it's totally lost!!! Route 66 worked find with my older BT-308.

Again, anybody using Route 66 and a GlobalSat BT-338? Thanks.

23. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Shadowguy - try www.gpsnavx.com - I looked into it for marine use and downloaded the demo. There is a list of compatible equipment on one of their pages and quite a lot of generally informative stuff.

24. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Yeah. I bought a cheap USB GPS dongle from ebay and tried that with Kismac. Worked fine, and was quite funky once I got some maps downloaded for my town. Really geeky funny to drive along and see a little blinking dot move along the road :p