GPS System on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CEAbiscuit, Jan 31, 2007.

1. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Can anyone confirm if there will be a GPS system built into the iPhone? I see there is a Maps widget for linkso google maps, etc, but was wonder if there will be a way to use it as a GPS.

I've become slightly addicted to the GPS on my LG 8300 on Verizon (it's the only thing i really like about Verizon). This actually will be a make or break... and no I woulnd't by a GPS system if I already have it in my phone.... defeats the purpose of the all -in-one device. I sure hope the iPhone has it...

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

There should be -- I think every GPS system in phones is based on the cellular network. (calculates ping-times between known towers) I don't think I've seen any actual satellite based systems.

If there is a way to get a 10 year old motorola phone to show your position - there *should be no problem* with the Iphone.

I'm no engineer though.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

it does NOT have GPS. that is, the iPhone does not know where you are.

Google maps just uses the internet. It's explained in David Pogue's "iPhone FAQs".

But seriously, when you have access to the internet i don't see the point of GPS...

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

have you ever used a gps system? Im guessing not and probably don't do ALOT of traveling. If you did you would not make that statement.

when you can see where you're going in real time and it alerts you as to when to turn and where hotels and pretty much everything else is, how can you say the internet is a good substitute. it takes time to look up stuff.

heck lets all just go back to the nice big out of date randy mcnally maps since gps is worthless lol

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm I might like to point out that US law requires them to have some way to give you GPS location on all cell phone since I believe by 2005. So the iPhone will have a way to find your location. Verizon and Sprint both use GPS on there phones. The GMS carriers use ping times from 3 towers to find your location. Also if you noticed you can get a nice GPS system on all the phones from cingular that support Java. So yeah they all have it built in.

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

quoting David Pogue:

"#68 asks: “Isn’t a FCC requirement that all new phones has GPS built in?”
    Maybe for emergency location purposes–and even that program (e911) is years away from having towers capable of working with it. But that’s not the same as having turn-by-turn driving directions, in the GPS sense most consumers think of it."

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've never had a problem with just a road map, and I bet my home town is more remote than that of 9 out of 10 of you guys...

But the iPhone form factor looks like it would work well as a handheld GPS.

8. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I can't have a road map for everywhere I travel in the US... i also can't bring a gps system everywhere easily. That's what makes the phone GPS so appealing. I would hope this is in Rev B if it isn't included.

9. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    Your description seems more like A-GPS but I would guess that if the iPhone had this, Apple would tout it.

Taken from Location-based service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Doesn't sound accurate enough for turn-by-turn navigation. I'm not at all a cellular or communictions expert and, therefore, I could be way off. Anyone know anything further?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

applications im talking about are say being a real estate agent finding homes. or being a salesman who travels all over the country and needs to find certain addresses. sure anyplace is easy if you are famiolar with the area somewhat

i use the nuvi and i think its awesome. its touch screen.....like the iphone! and seriously about the same size

11. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

it would be great to have that NuVI finctioanlity built in the I phone. From what I've been able to gather, though, it ain't happnin for a bit.

12. fastdrive macrumors member

If they don't have a GPS chip built in, Apple should allow bluetooth connectivity to an external bluetooth GPS receiver and turn by turn nav. with the Google map software.

The new bluetooth receivers are pretty small.

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Those "turn by turn" phones offered from Verizon and Sprint/Nextel do not have satellite-based GPS, they all use the CDMA (cellular) network to navigate - and these phones are now a couple years old.

Just because federal law mandates they be at least accurate to XXX resolution - I'm more than certian that the phones are capable of much higher resolution - on par with civillian based satellite GPS.

On an old motorolla startac 7868W I could get resolution to within feet via 3rd party (diagnostic) software. And this phone is a dinosaur.

14. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

All I know is it works pretty darned well for such a small device. And it's cheap.

15. Drewswa77 macrumors member

Id really want an iPhone if it had GPS that would truely converge all the devices I take in my car into one. iPod, Phone and GPS. I have a NUVI right now that is great. if something like that was in the iphone id be getting one asap.

16. ecksmen macrumors member

What happens when you don't have a signal?

IMO Satalite tracking is by far the best option.