GPS unit hooked up to a PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jun 20, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I was wondering where you can buy a GPS reciever that hooks up to a Mac O/S computer (powerbook) and software. Thanks

2. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Yes, most GPS from garmin with a USB port can be used with third party GPS Software.

check www.versiontracker.com and search for GPS in the os X software.

Hope this helps,

Mrmac

3. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend (Serial Port only) model that works fine with my PowerBook. I bought some generic Serial-to-USB converter on eBay for about $15 and haven't had a single problem.

4. SillyKary macrumors member

5. nvraiderfan@mac macrumors newbie

pwerbook not connecting with etrex help!!

i have the trex set up with a belkin serial adapter to the garmin cable. its not working

6. piquet macrumors newbie

i've got the tom tom gps receiver connected up via bluetooth, works great with route 66, the great advantage is i use it with the palm as well

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well BT is the way to go with GPS. So it works fine with a powerbook? What software are your running?

8. budaapple macrumors regular

Tom Tom

To the gentleman with the Tom Tom, I was looking at that is it worth the money it seems like exactly what i need just a little pricey.
    Thanks

9. piquet macrumors newbie

tom tom gps combo

hi

i have the tom tom working with route 66 europe 2004, it's the bluetooth version of the tom tom, 17 inch powerbook, i actually had the software and couldn;t get it to work for ages gave up and went the palm bluetooth gps way and only afterwards while playing found out that it would connect up

the key is setting up a serial port in the bluetooth serial utility, once that's set up, run route 66 and hot the gps button and suddenly you appear, loaction and altitude

i don't know but suspect that it would work the same for any bluetooth gps and route 66, i don't know about any other maping software, i got route 66 as it was the onl one i could find for the mac

hope it helps

pk