GPS users--how much data do you use in a trip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Aug 7, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

So I'm trying to stick with the $15 a month data plan if I can, but I really want to try out the GPS functions on my new iPhone 4. For those of you that pay a lot of attention to data usage--how much data does GPS eat up if you're using something like the MapQuest GPS app?

2. macrumors regular

I remember using my old 3GS as GPS replacement without a sim card.
    You should be ok

3. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Tom Tom and Navigon have the map data on the device. MOTION X Drive doesn't and constantly downloads data. So, it totally depends.

Plus there is data like traffic/weather to worry about.

4. macrumors regular

You are right!
    Make sure you use an app that has the maps already.

5. macrumors member

Just got back from a 6 day vacation. I used the MapQuest app exclusively for navigation. I was really surprised how well it worked even when I only had edge data. We did a lot of driving (the rental car bill said 926 miles). MapQuest was up and running during most of this.

I've pretty much decided to keep unlimited data but was curious how much data MapQuest used. Obviously it's nearly impossible to separate out MapQuest data from other data (web browsing, email etc.) but the grand total from those 6 days was 138 MB.

6. macrumors 68000

Navigon and TomTom dont use data

im using those GPS apps on my old 3GS with no sim card in it