GPS with mac laptop

Discussion in 'Community' started by Hungarianguy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

my father has a mac laptop and he bought a garmin 18 gps (USB) it came with route 66 software

the software does not work with mac (it's not the mac version of the software)

someone at an apple store also said that usb gps-es do not work with mac we need to buy a usb to serial converter.

What is the best way in connecting a gps with a mac laptop?
    What is the best software for gps? Route 66 did not get good reviews on amazon.

thanks,
    dan

2. pooky macrumors 6502

A depends on what you're doing with the GPS. Never used a USB GPS myself, so can't comment on that. For software, check the following for a discussion:

http://www.macintouch.com/streetatlas.html
    http://www.macintouch.com/maps.html

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Route 66 is supposed to be really good.. the mac version of Route 66 should accept a NMEA string from you garmin 18 unit. My suggestion is to buy the correct version of the route66 software, it should take right off.

4. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

does mac works with usb gps

is what the apple store told me correct:

does the mac work with the usb gps? or do i have to get a usb to serial converter?

thanks,
    dan

5. pncc macrumors regular

As long as the GPS is sending out NMEA compatible signals, it should work fine. Several vendors sell mac compatible USB GPS devices.

Just looked up specs on this particular unit and the USB version DOES NOT
    output NMEA data, but garmin proprietary data!!
    Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! It will most likely NOT work. Route 66 software requires a 0183 NMEA GPS receiver.
    http://rs108.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=US&sec=3&ssec=0&prodid=716

6. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

does the usb gps receiver work with macs?

What usb receivers work with the route 66 software for a mac laptop.

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The DeLorme Earthmate is a usb gps that spits out a NMEA string.. you can try that, or go wireless with their new Bluetooth BlueLogger. (I use one with my T3) Both are NMEA compliantand WASS enabled...

The generalization that mac's don't work with USB is false, anymore it seems that bluetooth may be the connection of choice... but the old way works too. :)

----

Wait, this doesn't make sense. Why would the Garmin 18 come with Route 66 software if it doesn't work? Did he purchase this as a package? I'd still argue that buying the correct version of the route66 software will fix your problem if they did in fact come bundled together.

8. pooky macrumors 6502

Trust me, it's far from really good. It's painfully slow, has a poorly designed interface, and many of the maps are very inaccurate. Often times it tells you to go down nonexistent streets, and the GPS feature will sometimes put you too far off of your actual position to be of any use. The driving directions feature is mediocre at best. It chooses strange routes to send you on (for example, telling you to get on and off the freeway in favor of surface streets 5 or 6 times on a long trip). The feeling I get is that the authors of the program didn't really understand the differences between the US and European road system, and so many of the quirks of the program are more appropriate to Europe.