GPU overclocking...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I just ran some prelim's with ATIccelerator II and I must say, that is one cool program! I overclocked my ATI 7500 GPU frequency 50% and the memory frequency 20% and ran Xbench. With standard settings (261Mhz) OpenGL got 70.48 FPS.
    Overclocked 50% (do the math) I was getting 66.83 FPS.
    On the other hand, the quartz graphics tests were not as obvious. Some were higher, some lower...
    Nothing spectacular, but I was afraid to go higher for fear of crashing the card.
    Anyway, I thought I would bring that to your attention. :p

By the way, is there such thing as G4ccelerator II? I want to overclock my CPU without soldering irons!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

ATiccelerator is gr8 fun! :cool:

If you like that kinda stuff, you should check this site out

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Some cards OC a lot better than others, but ATIccelerator II can be nice for the performance junky. I had my 6800GT running at 400/1100MHz and saw some improvement, but it ran a little hot for my tastes.

Actually, one of it's best features is the ability to underclock a card to reduce heat or power consumption.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

BTW, that was a nice job on the 6800 GT there, Lord Blackadder.

In fact that was such a nice job, you could sharpen your pencil with it.

:D

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thanks. :) I figured if I was going to spend $250 I'd rather get a 6800 than a 9800. Plus if I'm ever in the market for a G5 I can pop it right in. :D

But next time I install a video card I'll have to remember not to use Baldrick as a grounding strap...:p

It always scares me when people talk about using ATIccelerator on their iBook/iMac GPUs though....:eek: at least if I fry my card I can pull it out and replace it, but if you fry an iBook/iMac's....ouch. :(

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL.

Maybe using Lord Percy would have been more convenient. :p

Good point on using these überclock utilz in fixed-GPU Macs.
    Besides the fact that a fried GPU in those Macs are not user-replacable, I would be double cautious about not being able to get better cooling for them, thus leaving less room for overclocking in the first place.

So, please only overclock if you can and are willing to replace the grfx card. :eek: