GPU Performance ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple Corps, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Would some of you "tech gurus" venture a guess on how the x1600 in the MBP would compare - in practical terms - to the ATI Ge Force 6600 that came stock in my Quad? I understand that there are many different system components that impact on my question but.................

Thanks

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It really depends on the application used.

The Mobility X1600 is weird in that way that it has 12 Pixel Shaders but they can only work in banks of three and output four pixels per clock.

In old games it resembles a graphic card with only 4 pipelines but in newer games it functions as a 12 pipeline card.

I don't know if it's a Geforce 6600GT or non-GT card in your G5 tower though.

3. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

Pressure - the main application will be Keynote, HD video clips and high resolution photographs. I'll be feeding one of the new 1920 x 1080 HD projectors. I will be using the extended desktop way more than mirror.

My core duo mini is - believe it or not - hanging in there with those applications. What is surprising to me is that on some HD clips the mini playback is smoother than my Quad ??????????