GPU question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardk9, Jun 8, 2005.

1. edwardk9 macrumors member

edwardk9

I am still having trouble finding a card that will work for me.

I have a powermac g4 450mhz (soon to be upgraded to 1.4) but I believe that it only has 2X AGP. I really want a graphics card that will support core image/QE but I can't seem to find any.

Would a normal 4X AGP card for mac work possibly just at 2X or will it just not work, period.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You may have problems finding one. According to this page, many 4x boards are backwards compatible with 2x motherboards in terms of speed, but may not be because of voltage. I don't think your model supports cards with a "retention tab" (which I think protects against using incorrect voltage) on many 4x cards (see here). Beyond that, I can't really help you, but definitely be careful because there's more to it than just the speed.

3. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

From Apple's website:
    "Core Image-capable graphics cards include:

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    * ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9650, 9800 XT, X800 XT
    * nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
    * nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    * nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL"

The cheapest card that runs with Core Image that I could find was a Radeon 9800 2x/4x 128MB VRAM from OWC for $250.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100435050/

If you don't really need Core Image, a Radeon 9000 will do just fine for Quartz Extreme (QE works on any Radeon and above) and is much more reasonably priced at $130.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100433022/

Just be sure that any card you buy specifically states 2x AGP compatibility, otherwise it may not run in your Sawtooth.