Grab a 160GB Classic while you still can!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mcdj, Sep 9, 2008.

1. macrumors 604

Jul 10, 2007
    Looks like they've dumped it from the line. Glad I got one.
  2. Guest

Jul 14, 2008
    This is disappointing, the Nano get's all the cool updates but not for the classic, oh well. Guess I won't be selling mine after all.
  3. macrumors member

Feb 13, 2008
    Another stupid move by Apple.
  4. macrumors 601

Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    Agreed. I don't need a smaller iPod, 160GB is not enough storage for me as it is.
  5. macrumors 601

Aug 29, 2006
    Might be a nice investment. Same goes with a square nano.
  6. macrumors member

Feb 13, 2008
    Looks like my next PMP will be an Archos, and the new line looks awesome.
  7. macrumors member

Apr 14, 2005
    How not, I consider myself to have a reasonably large music collection and I can't fill my 30gb Ipod

Unless yours is full of HD video.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 24, 2008
  9. macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    ... then you don't have a "reasonably large" collection, by most standards.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2008
    Does anyone know if there is anything different with the new iPod concerning the menus and such? Not just the fact that they botched up the hard drive capacity?

With 18000 songs im screwed... if the ipod is just the same as the 160's ill just get a 160.

Any ideas?
  11. macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    With the reduction in space from 160 to 120GB does anyone else feel that the iPod Classic doesn't have very long left. I think it will be discontinued by this time next year.
  12. macrumors 68000

Sep 23, 2007
    You mean your .02 cents?
  13. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2005
    Reject Beach
    Yeah, I agree ucfgrad93. I think the writing is on the wall for the Classic. I believe this is the first contraction in size for an iPod line.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2007
    If they remove the classic from their line, they remove any need for me to have an iPod.
  15. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2007
    And that's what M$ is counting on for Zune sales :p

I can't believe Apple didn't update the classic... I was counting on a new classic. My touch suffered water damage, and I've been in the market for a new 'pod, but it looks like I may have to look to M$ to fill that need.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2007
    Maybe, but what possibly could they replace it with? The flash chips in the nano and touch are too expensive for a large capacity ipod.
  17. macrumors 601

Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    Even my old 30GB iPod Photo that I bought in 2004 was too small. I had to leave off allot of music. You must have a very small collection, seriously.

I've purchased complete collections by bands such as Bob Dylan, U2, Depeche Mode and Led Zeppelin.

I have a 1TB drive on my Mac Pro that is just about filled. I bought a second 1TB drive last night to start filling up.
  18. macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was watching the updating streams of the event and as soon as Jobs said the 160 was a goner, I hit eBay and bought one. I'll be honest, I'm a tad pissed right now. I waited 5 months for this event just t be sure I wouldn't be missing a capacity upgrade or price reduction on the 160s, and what i get instead is a rainbow of pretty colored nanos and news that the player I waited 5 months to buy is being discontinued.

Furthermore, I had been watching ebay for a while and I know I could have gotten one for cheaper than I did, but i didn't want to risk the whole world flooding ebay to snatch up what 160s are left, leaving me with none. In all fairness, I paid about what I would have for a refurbished one from Apple. Still, it stings a bit.

So I'm glad I got one today.

And I'm a bit miffed at the turn of events from Apple.

My cousin will be glad about the Touch though. She wanted one for her birthday a month ago and I persuaded her to wait until today for the updates. She can get one now.

19. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2008
    same old iPod got into a fight with a lawnmower...and I waited and waited for today...

now they're DROPPING capacity?

at least they dropped the price a LITTLE

but the zune is looking better now...although I HATE giving any money to mafiasoft
  20. macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2008
    This was a stupid move by Apple. I had been waiting to see if there was going to be a bump up in capacity on the Classic. Instead they went the opposite way. We already have an 8gb Nano that the wife keeps in her car and I have one of the first gen 30gb Zunes, bought it after my Zen Vision:M died, and was looking to upgrade to the Classic.

Sorry but 120gb isn't enough since I currently have just over 140gb of stuff I would like to store and carry with me.
  21. macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2008
    I'm bummed out as well... I waited months to get an ipod classic, hoping they'd increase capacity but now it's 40gb less! :( Such a major disappointment! Guess i better hurry to the stores within the next few days to get the last of the 160gb versions. What were they thinking?!
  22. macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2007
    It's a shame for those who use lossless formats to rip audio.
  23. macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2008
    Yes. At least there's one thing different. I saw in the Apple store that Genius is added to the Classic too.

But it's the ridiculous that they kept the old interface.
  24. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2008
    I'm wondering though....

will the retail outlets closeout the 160s? will they drop in price?
  25. macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Come on people. Steve is adopting Bill's philosophy on memory.

"640k ought to be enough for anyone"
    -Bill Gates

Is the 120gig the same price as the 160? If so thats just really dumb.