Graduate school help: Parsons vs. Portfolio center?

Discussion in 'Community' started by misplacdparadox, Apr 7, 2005.

1. misplacdparadox macrumors newbie

I have been accepted into the Parsons MFA Design and Tech program, and into the Portfolio Center's Design/Art direction program (which does not offer a MFA). Both are two year programs.

I am having a lot of trouble about making a choice. I have visited both schools, and both have their positives, but was wondering if there are individuals who have experienced both schools, or either one, and can give me some constructive advice. (i.e. Parsons' is 2x as costly, is it worth it? [i will find a way to afford either tuition.], how do the repuations of each school compare?)

I would apprieciate input a lot, thanks!

(I am graduating from a 4 yr liberal arts school, that has no computer design program curriculum at it, so as is, most of my knowledge is self taught)

2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I think everyone has heard of parsons, but not necessarliy as a graphic design school...I think it may be more know for it's industrial design program. If that were true, I would for with Portfolio Center, as everyone knows about it, and you know it's a great program. Then again, Parsons is in NY...and Portfolio center is somewhere strange like Alabama isn't it? lol

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Why are you pursuing the graduate degree?

If you are looking to do anything with education, within the arts, then the MFA would be the best bet because it is a terminal degree. If you are just doing it for personal or possible job enhancement then go with what feels right.

From what I have been told, Parsons is a great design school (I have worked with a few MFA alumni from their program). I am unfamiliar with the Portfolio Center. Parsons is also tied to the New School so they may have more to offer... Parsons also has accreditation with NASAD, you should check to see if the other school does as well.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

4. johnnowak macrumors 6502

GO THERE. I am taking two classes in that program currently, and they are great. Email me offlist if you need advice: john *at* johnnowak.com

Also look at the interactive telecommunications program at NYU:
    http://itp.nyu.edu

5. johnnowak macrumors 6502

The Portfolio Center is a joke compared to Parsons... especially for DT.

6. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

whats up with parsons? how come quite a few people on here are applying there? is it location, or for what it is known for?

7. misplacdparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

Personally, I never heard of Parsons until I was graduate school searching. I was intially impressed by their catalog, where upon when I told people where I was applying people would tell me "oh ya... Parsons", whereas with the portfolio center I did not get as much recognition among people, so I am curious as well what those with experience might have to say.

Jp

Thank you all so far for your responses. it helps.

8. lamemodem macrumors member

lamemodem

Portfolio Center

I went to the Portfolio Center (it's in Atlanta - not Alabama).

Here's the thing: PC offers lots of programs, but I wouldn't go there unless you are specifically going into advertising to be an art director or a copywriter. And unless they've beefed up their design program in the last few years, which I doubt, skip it. I'd recommend Art Center in Pasadena for design. I'd even recommend that ad school in Miami over PC.

What did you find as an upside to the PC, just out of curiosity?

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm going into the D&T program at Parsons next year :).

Have you applied for housing yet?

scem0

10. misplacdparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

&

Both the PC and Parsons offer a wonderful insight into design, beyond just the artistic sense, but from a deeper perspective. I was intially impressed with Parsons not by any reputation I had heard but strictly off of reading their catalog, and the structure of the D&T program. Because this sort of program really works off of how design and culture/society/etc/ are influential to one another. This sort of philosophy struck me as unusual in comparison to some of the other schools I was looking at. There appeared to be much more flexibility and opportunity in the program (collabarotive studios.. is an amazing idea).

When I visited PC I was impressed with the sense of community there, it was in a way a family, and I particularly liked how all the different departments worked off one another to do projects together (something parsons does at well with other graduate programs in the New School University). I was given the impression that PC focuses a lot on how to develop a "brand" which is interesting but applies more so advertising than allowing more focus in design.

Utlimately I have choosen Parsons, thanks to this thread, as well as many conversations I have had of late, visits, research, etc.... Thinking it out, the PC does really focus around advertising (and that is where I intially heard of it, when i was more interested to an advertising career.), but I am very excitied at the opportunities that Parsons brings, with talking to a facultly member, I was very impressed with the resources and broad basis of thought that goes into defining what constitutes "design". I feel that Parsons offers more the student, rather than sharpening one's skills or portfolio, it opens new skills to be nurtured.

11. misplacdparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

nice! No, actually I'm thinking of finding an apartment in Brooklyn, though I haven't had time to look into it much yet. I have a friend that is going into grad school as well and we might end up rooming together (cheaper). Feel free to contact me.