graduate school's laptop policies

Discussion in 'Community' started by ToddW, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Well I'm applying to TCU to get my MBA, and they have this stupid laptop policy about having to have a Windows laptop. I want to get an ibook, i can only imagine that the only thing those guys really use the laptop for is Office. I really don't want to have to deal with having another windows machine to keep up with and maintain. Any thoughts, anyone go to TCU around here? Similar experiences?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You may need access, project, visio, etc. Many grad programs require a certain kind of computer. This is one case that I'd bite the bullet and buy a windows machine. Of couse I'd check with the department first to make sure its absolutely necessarily.

3. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

As much as it pains me, I would agree. Law school has the same policy and it has to do with one piece of software. Graduate school may have programs like the ones mentioned above that require Windows for you to be even semi-productive. Good luck and enjoy!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The legal world isn't an Office world, they (the courts and federal agencies) many times mandate documents to arrive in WordPerfect format.

And those documents are a PIA for Mac users, if you have a Mac you'll get a .wpd document from the lawyer (edit: another reason why lawyers are evil people) and the fun is just beginning. ;)

Though it's not a big problem if you have MacLinkPlus installed.

---

As for an MBA, they probably play around more with some of the Office stuff that we don't have. :(

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I know a number of my engineering text books came with floppies with programs that simulated piping problems or MSD systems or ... whatever and some of the problems in the book were of the form run the program with the following inputs... What can you infer? Increase the Mass... What value of Damping produces the smallest initial oscillation for a given displacement allowing for full return.

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

If you have a decent iBook/PowerBook, buy Virtual PC if you have to run any specific programs for the PC. Check with the professors or whoever is in charge of the MBA program and ask exactly why PC's are needed. I can't imagine you'll have to run any processor intensive apps. I think a Mac will be fine.

7. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah. That seems like a common practice.

However, on the flip side, the uni my brother goes to requires you to have an Apple computer (or at least the use of one in the computer lab if you don't want to buy your ow) if you are in visual arts or advertising program. So for every mac person forced to use a pc/windows machine, there are many more windows people forced to use macs.

Kinda puts the whole world into perspective. :D

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

It would be nice if college programs were not dependent on a particular platform. As far as the MBA programs, I can't imagine what software they would use that would not be available for the Mac. Both platforms have Office and statistical software like StatDisk, MatLab, and Mathematica. I don't think they would require Visio or Access. If so, I'm sure there are alternatives. I would never buy a PC because someone says I have to. I'll do my best with what I have.

9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well there is a quite a bit of software that virtual PC would be to slow to run. I can think of some software that I will be using that it can easily be pushed to the point where it takes a native computer 1 min or to solve up the problem. That is native so you can imagen how long VPC would take to solve the same problem. A lot of software is PC side only and is some very powerful stuff. The collage could be using some Pro lv apps that is made for a windows PC only and VPC is just way to weak to even try to run it.

It all depends on what the school is using and what the field is in.