Graduating in Spring, wait for buying a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by motc777, Jan 20, 2006.

1. motc777 macrumors member

motc777

I graduate in Spring 2006 and thus my education discount goes out the window. I am told the Macbook Pro has the new Intel chip in it and if it does, would I be an idiot to buy one now while I still have my discount, or just wait for something else coming down the pike that I have no clue about because I'm new to Mac's, still use a PC, which makes me an asshat...

2. sixstorm, Jan 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013

sixstorm macrumors regular

The main thing I would do is to take advantage of the edu discount while you have it. The MacBook Pro would be a great laptop to invest in/purchase; a very sexy lappy indeed. It's always great to save a hundred bucks or so in the process too!

3. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

O.k. That's what I thought too...BTW, will getting a MacBook Pro, and the MacBook being sexy and all, will that make me sexy as well? If it does, this could increase my chances of having another child...LOL

4. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Just curious, how much is the student discount for the MacBook Pro?

5. matperk macrumors 6502

6. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

AppleCare is $150 I think, so you could rationalize the savings going toward more warranty if you need to.

7. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Applecare is more like $250. But you should definitely get it because if something breaks on a laptop it's hundreds of dollars to replace.

8. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Yeah, but then you spend hundreds of dollars on Applecare. And if it doesn't break you haven't spend anything.

9. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Yeah, it's $350, but 200 off would make it 150. I was unclear.

Applecare is totally worth it I feel, got me a new Optical drive when a disc was stuck.

10. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

Peace of mind costs money...I would get it by erring on the side of caution...

11. revfife macrumors regular

revfife

With education discount applecare is $239 vs. $339 without education discount. Either way you go I would say buy it before you graduate. I am in the same boat. Graduate May 20th, so I need to use my edu discount soon! :)

12. T-Stex macrumors 6502

If you're planning on getting a laptop, I'd definitely recommend getting the MacBook Pro with Applecare while you still have your student discount. I believe you save $200 on the laptop, and another $110 on the Applecare, and I think there's a discount if you buy memory or other add-ons, plus the money you'll save on tax. So if you're going to buy a computer in the near future, you'll easily save $300+.

Also, I chose not to get Applecare on my Ti PowerBook, and it ended up coming back to get me. There's currently a problem with my logic board, which would easily outweigh the original cost of the Applecare plan.

13. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

Well for me the Applecare is going to be essential. Seeing as how I'm going to be a novice on a Mac, if I jack something up, or get lost doing something, I have the support right there. And can someone please tell me if Applecare techs know their stuff?

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just an FYI for you, your educational discount extends 3 months after you graduate, I believe. Someone on the forums here said they called apple and was told this. I too will graduate in the spring, but I plan on waiting until some more of the apps are ported until I switch to an Macbook.

15. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

When I ordered by MB Pro, it was 2299 for the 1.83.

16. wako macrumors 65816

so to further extend on this..

Even at the mac store, all they really do is look for a school ID. I know a friend of mine who graduated 2 years ago from college and still had his school ID and used it at the store....

17. Mechcozmo, Jan 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013

Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The people that I've talked to know they're sh**. But your milage may vary; not everyone Apple hires is perfect. However, so far every one of them has been great even the ones who I've talked with while doing work on other people's computers who had AppleCare. Very understanding and accepted the fact that I know what I was doing. It helped that I knew to let them run through their checklist too, but this one guy skipped the minor stuff (repairing disk permissions) and had me rerun fsck -yf and stuff. Didn't work, but still a nice guy.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just show them my ID and I get my discount. I haven't been asked to provide proof for online purchases, yet. :rolleyes: