Graduation Gift

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boris Yeltsin, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Boris Yeltsin macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

After meeting with my High School Counsler on Friday, and finding out my class rank is 35 out of 441, I was ecstatic. When I told my parents, they were even more ecstatic. So much so, that they decieded to buy me a new car for my graduation gift. They said that I could pick anything under 25k. I was blown through the roof, and now am trying to decied what to get. I've narrowed it down to a VW GTI, or a Mini. My question to you guys is, does anyone know, or has heard about either one of these two vehicles? I already have a '95 VW Jetta, and have really grown to love VW's, so I'd really appreciate some info on the GTI if possible. BTW, any other suggestions in my price range would be nice (I know it sounds contradictory, but I'm just so excited!!!) Thanks

Boris.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

where are you going to school next year? north, south, etc.

the mini is great, but not much room for large friends and is a less practical car for traveling with all your stuff :D

do you have any money to add to the venture? The Subaru Outback Turbo is friggin awesome....if you're going north and need to worry about road conditions the all wheel drive is nice. We might buy one ourselves to replace our old one.

But aside from that, I know its out of the range, it really depends on what you want. Go test drive as much as you can, see what you like.

We also have a Honda Element and love it and its less than 25k :D

D

3. Boris Yeltsin thread starter macrumors newbie

I just submitted my application to the Citadel, So I won't have to worry about the winter weather in the North. You're right, the Suburu does look awesome, however insurance on the thing has got to be killer!

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Are they going to allow you a car your first year?

And how far is it from home?

Like I said, go out and have fun test driving as many cars as possible -- you never know what you might really like.

D

5. Boris Yeltsin thread starter macrumors newbie

You are allowed to have a car after the first 3 months (Basically until you end you "pre-pleb" period). But you can't go anywhere until you get liberty on the weekends. Oh, and I live about an hour away from D.C. BTW, if I don't get accepted, I'll probably end up going to an instate school like UVA, or Virginia Tech, all which allow freshmen to drive. Thanks

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your class rank, something to be very proud. That is awesome that your parents are offering to purchase a car. I like to get the opinion from Consumer Reports when purchasing a car. They have never steered me wrong yet. You probably could visit your local library, the April issues contains the complete listing of all 2004 cars. So that would also give you an indication about the 2005. Besides a VW you might also want to consider a Toyota, they come very highly rated. If you have any questions, then I could check my magazine copy.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

If I were in your situation, I would be looking at two cars. Well, actually 4, but two models.

Ford Focus SVT
    (4 door, or 2 door). I have a Ford Focus ZX3, which is the same car as the SVT, but it has a smaller engine, less options, etc. It is SOOOO awesome. Handles great, drives great, I am averaging 28mpg! The SVT is fast also, should handle the mini pretty easily. I recommend getting a 5spd though. I just learned how to drive one last weekend, and now I drive it fine without even thinking about it.

Mazda3/Mazda5

I've only heard good things about these cars. They are supposedly the step up model Focus. Nicer cars, better engines, etc.

Don't be afraid to look at cars on eBay. You will save a LOT of money. Just find one semi-local. I bought my car on eBay (2002 Ford Focus ZX3, fully loaded) for 6500. The bluebook was 9000. The closest price I could find for the same car locally (off of eBay, not at a dealer) was about 8500.

For 25k, you could get a BMW 3/5 series on eBay. Shop wisely.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The new new GTI (A5 chassis) looks sweet; got high marks from CAR.

OTOH, it will be a first-year car in the US when it comes out, though it's already rolling out in Europe. I'd check to see where it's being built before buying.

Also, give a look at the TDI Golfs available. I have one and my insurance was cut in half when I bought it, even though I was deleting a '94 Jetta worth 1/10th the new car.

Not only that, but you get 50mpg!

BTW, I'm a bit of a VW nut so any specific questions you have I can probably answer.

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

What the hell kinda fascist schools are these?

in my first year i didn't live on campus and drove -- "Liberty on Weekends"? --- what kinda idiotic idea is that?

10. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Get a Vespa and a Mac. I am sure the will like that idea, too.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You've never heard of the Citadel?

http://www.citadel.edu/

I'm curious what your plans are after you graduate?

D

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I hadn't heard of the citadel eiother but a quick google search because it did not come across as a common school showed it to be limilatry and the liberty thing on weekends made sense

13. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

step 1 ... take foot out of mouth
    step 2 ... apologize for hasty remarks

is the post grad question directed at me or Boris Yeltsin?

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good suggestions. :) I'd also consider an Acura RSX. The design is very nice, but admittedly, kinda bland. It still appeals to me, though. I wonder why? :p

15. Boris Yeltsin thread starter macrumors newbie

Plan on becoming an officer in the Marine Corps (applied for NROTC scholarship)

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Get a car for $5000 and ask your parents for $20,000 in cash.

17. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

My Fiancee's Mother work for, untill last year, VW as an accountant, and their Mechanics said that the only VW they can recommend is the Jetta. All of the other vehicles have major engine issues. I do not know what but her sister got a Passat and has had nothing but problems. The mother, even after hearing this still got the Beetle, and it is a piece of crap. I have not heard anything about the GTI.

Just my2 cents thrown in.

18. Boris Yeltsin thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard just the opposite. What I hear, Jettas have all the problems while the rest of the line is okay.

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Very nicely done! I got a very similar class rank to you, 7 out of 110 which puts me just ahead of you :p. But sadly I'm not getting a car.

Good luck making your decision and be sure to post pics here!

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    good job

just get 25000 in mac related gear :) and a bike hehe

21. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Well, you can take what I said with a grain of salt...

But my information comes from the companies mechanics. If the people who work for the company and work on the cars like or dislike something, I listen. They were talking to off the record while she was looking to get a car. I also see Jettas driving around up the yiyang around here, from various years, and few of any of the other models (Beetles excluded as they are so differnet from other cars its easy to spot them).

Except for what I heared from VW, I had only thought of them as a decent car, still too pricy for me. I prefer my toyota as it will keep ticking forever, as long as its maintained (I have a friend who had a corolla from the early 80's that is still bouncing around from family member to family member chugging along just fine).

If VW was what I was considering, I would look to the TDI models as I like fuel effeciency. 40 - 50mpg sounds great when its going to cost upwards of $30 per fill up.

22. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Saab 9-2X? For under $25k you could probably pick up an ex-demonstrator Aero model. It's best summed up as an Impreza WRX with legendary Saab seats and a smoother ride.

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

pocket the majority of the money, get a bike and burn fat, not oil. ;)

24. Boris Yeltsin thread starter macrumors newbie

Went and Test drove both the GTI and the Golf GLS today, and all I have to say is WOW!!! Both cars are amazing (especially on the Highway, if you know what I mean), however, I think I'm going to have to count out the GTI, mainly due to insurance cost. Keep up the suggestions, we're going to a Mazda dealer on Friday.

25. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

VW's reliability is terrible. nice cars, great interiors, but totally unreliable according to the latest industry data. I relaly like VW's, but I probably wouldn't get one right now. I'm waiting to see how the next golf is (its already on sale in Europe)

Mini has had some quality concerns, but as an all new vehicle, that wasn't unexpected. I ahven't heard anything major about problems with them, and they were just freshened. I really want a mini.

If I had 25k to spend though, I'd get a subaru WRX. faster than anything on the road for the price (except the guady dodge SRT-4), super reliable (my family has had three subarus, and it would be considered bad if they didn't go at least 200k), all wheel drive and abs included.

Mazda 3 and mazda 6 both look like quality vehicles from what I've seen.

The honda accord coupe is nice with a strong engine under there and lots of refinement.

The new ford focus looks like a fun car.

Plenty of other vehicles to consider as well.