grainy iSight

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djstarrock, Nov 27, 2006.

1. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Hi i just bought my new MacBook and the camera is very grainy is this normal
    [​IMG]

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It doesn't look like there's much light in the room. But, yes - it looks normal. That's not really very noisy for low-light conditions.

edit: still same comment on lighting. It looks like the main light source is the LCD screen.

3. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure. The built-in [on my 17" C2D MBP] has less noise and better low-light sensitivity than my stand-alone iSight.

You can get control of the video settings by using iGlasses. It has a bunch of presets. I use "Extra Bright" and it's enough to boost to a useable image in a dark room using mostly the screen for illumination. You can create your own custom presets too.

5. micromarcie macrumors newbie

Make sure there is enough light in the room. I put my desk lamp behind my macbook, and that helps.

Also, you can't expect too much from what is basically a built in webcam. It makes sense that the picture quality is on the low side.

But this gets me thinking, does anyone know if you can change the settings on the iSight to mabe change the resolution, etc?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Native resolution is 640x480.

Hard to say what sensor the built-in uses, but the external iSight is fairly good (also has electromechanical focus).

A bit off subject, but if the iSight has a similar sensor to the built in, here's an example of what it can do. Attached the iSight to the ocular of a 4" Meade telescope and captured about 90 frames (3 sec of video). Used an image stacking application to process a bunch of them into a single image:
    [​IMG]

7. chrisworld macrumors member

isight

i got my iMac 20" core 2 duo like 2 weeks ago and the isight like got worse.... and lemme guess...with my luck its gonna die and it needs to be replaced (hopefully free under warranty)

[​IMG]

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an original iSight connected to my Mini and I got a Griffin iSight light to boost the light because it is in a dark office. But yeah, a desk light or overhead will help. Might have to try that iGlasses when I get my 24" C2D in the spring.

9. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

i find that the macs instore have such clear isights...

10. chrisworld macrumors member

because of the lighting, they make it perfect light in there usually to show off that sorta thing i guess