Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Just to echo a few people here, definitely use the second one. The reason, I think, is that "Fifty years ago" is a dependent clause here (i.e., makes little sense without the rest of the sentence to put it in perspective). Dependent clauses are always separated from the rest of the sentence with a comma.

That, and it just looks and reads better ;)

I'll take option 2, iGary.

Yeah, I'm w/ the majority on this one. It makes the structure come across more conversational. Seeing as the artlicle is either biographical or about fly-fishing I'd assume you'd want to set a relaxed tone to the piece from the beginning.

Anywho...I like it w/ the comma. Though if you want to read a great book where powerful literary figures get into raucous arguments and vendettas over comma usage, you should read Letters From The Editor. You'll laugh, that I can promise.

Boggle.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
"Fifty years ago" is an introductory clause and it makes sense to add a comma to separate it from the following independent clause also if you speak the entire sentence aloud do you find yourself speaking with a natural pause between the two because if yes then most likely there should be a comma but that doesn't necessarily mean a comma is necessary just because there's a pause does this make sense?

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
iGary said:
Having a "debate" with an editor of mine.

Would you write this sentence like this:

Or like this:

Fifty years ago, Joe Bruce was a youngster hiding behind a patch of cattails, chugging a plug across a pond on his grandmother's farm.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'd go with the comma. What does the editor say?

Not that editors are always right. I've had editors foul up my writing something awful.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So how is it that ~Shard~ hasn't weighed in on a grammar question?

Fifty years ago, Joe Bruce was a youngster hiding behind a patch of cattails while chugging a plug across a pond on his grandmother's farm.

Me? I'd rewrite it like this:

Fifty years ago, before he had better things to do like play on an X-Box, Joe Bruce was a young punk playing hooky from school. While avoiding the warrant officers, he'd often hide out on his grandmother's farm and smoke pot. In order to satisfy his growing hunger, he's chug a few plugs across the pond in an attempt to dredge up a catfish or two to filet for a snack.

;)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
iGary said:
Having a "debate" with an editor of mine.

how about this:

Fifty years ago Joe Bruce was a youngster, hiding behind a patch of cattails while chugging a plug across a pond on his grandmother's farm.

is "chugging" a colloquialism where you are? It means "throwing," right? I ask because here we would refer to that as "chucking."

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i would write it the second way because putting the comma there indicates that the sentence would read just fine if the comma'd portion was removed (the "fifty years ago" part). so, if the sentence were written without that, it would still make sense. in the first version, the lack of a comma indicates that the "fifty years ago" intro is necessary to keep the sentence coherent (which, it is not).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
pianoman said:
i would write it the second way because putting the comma there indicates that the sentence would read just fine if the comma'd portion was removed (the "fifty years ago" part). so, if the sentence were written without that, it would still make sense. in the first version, the lack of a comma indicates that the "fifty years ago" intro is necessary to keep the sentence coherent (which, it is not).

Do you see the irony in commenting on proper comma use in a sentence with a post that itself misuses commas? That was brilliant, thanks! :p :D

Oh, and sentences begin with captial letters as well. You kind of forgot that one.

just, thought, you'd, like, too, no;

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
my english teacher last year (who officially knows everything about books, grammar, and just about anything) says that it depends on how you say it. Some people might use the comma, some might not; it can be done either way.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
steamboat26 said:
...it depends on how you say it. Some people might use the comma, some might not; it can be done either way.
I'd go along with that. I tend to put a comma in a sentence where I'd pause if I saying it aloud.

It might not always be grammatically correct, but it keeps me happy. :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why doesn't this bloody image link work...

Attachments

• nazi_grandma.jpg
    nazi_grandma.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 63

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
~Shard~ said:
Do you see the irony in commenting on proper comma use in a sentence with a post that itself misuses commas?

"Usage" is more appropriate. :D ;)

Oxford American said:
Usage means 'manner of use, practice,' while use means 'the act of employing.' In discussions of writing, usage is the term for normal or prescribed practice:: standard usage calls for a plural. In describing particular examples, however, employ use: | the use of the plural with this noun is incorrect.

IJ Reilly said:
Why doesn't this bloody image link work..

And of course, a gas oven would only be appropriate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.