Gran Turismo Mobile (PSP)

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacRy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Does anyone have any preview details about this or know whether it's going to be any good? I've been waiting for bloody ages for it to be released and Amazon is saying that it will be on the 7th September 2006. I've tried Googling for information but can only find very sparse details about it being made back in 2005. Are the developers ashamed of it or something as I would have expected to have heard something about it prior to launch? I'm really looking forward to it and hope it is decent. Can anyone shed any light on this for me and who else is looking forward to it?

2. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Don't hold your breath. Wasn't it supposed to be a launch title? I remember many promo shots of the PSP with GT discs, screens etc.

Since then it's gone firmly off the radar. Was it at this year's E3? I don't remember there being a fuss so I'd say that's a no. I don't believe it will be out before the next home console version because it's been delayed so much already, if it appears at all now. I'd imagine PD are being pushed to get the PS3 GT done as a matter of prioroty.

Look at the US PSP upcoming list. Not there. I'd take retail listing release dates with a huge pinch of salt. Sites like Amazon, Play etc constantly state incorrect release dates.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/NewGames

3. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Thought that it might be too good to be true!

Still, looking at that list I see Bomberman being released soon and I love Bomberman :)

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It will be released but when is the question....Pushing it back to tweak it I'm guessing.....Not my cup of tea though....only racing game I got for the PSP is wipeout pure.

Bless

5. MS bulldog macrumors regular

if it doesn't have multiplayer over the net, then i'm passing.

6. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

burnout's pretty fun, its the only game i play on my psp anymore (besides the loco-roco and tama-run demos).

7. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I know nothing about that particular game, but if it is anything like the other gran turismo's it should be awesome. Greatest racing franchise ever :cool:
    Can't wait for vision gran turismo!

8. MS bulldog macrumors regular

you mean single player only and crappy AI?

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought Forza (was it called?) was a better racing game seeing it had car licenses that GT couldn't get? I dunno myself. I just heard a lot of GT ditching when Forza came out. I don't play racing sims myself.

10. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

think i know what side of the bed you got out of today

11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Whether or not Forza (or PGR) is a better game is not much of a factor for me. IMO, they both just copied Gran Turismo

12. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Forza controls like a hairy ass. A finely tuned WRX STi does not have problems hugging corners at 50mph. Forza is all about gameplay balance. I'd hardly call it a sim.

Gran Turismo has a much better physics system. The only thing Forza did was model some superficial damage and online play with asshat gamers. Something a sim player doesn't really want to deal with...

The problem with the whole 'cars that GT couldn't get' thing, has to do with the damage models. The companies didn't want Polyphony Digital to make their cars ugly (wreck them with realistic physics models). I'm guessing this changed when Microsoft threw a huge chunk of cash at them.

The good news is, the new GT games will model collision. Although, again, I'd argue that any real wheelman can handle corners and won't wreck.

Overall, I have to say, I absolutely hated Forza. Long live GT!

More on topic - I absolutely crave a portable GT4. It was my sole purpose for owning the PSP.

Sadly, it is vaporware...

13. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm also anxiously awaiting the arrival of GT mobile. IGN (http://psp.ign.com/index/release.html?constraint.eq.game.locale=uk) says that the UK (and I guess europe) release date is September 7th. Which pretty much corresponds to that of Amazon. I've seen one other website offering it on pre-order but they stated that the game would ship somewhere towards the end of september!

IGN is a pretty good source for game news for the most part so I'm guessing it'll be out in the next few weeks. If not, we'll just have to wait!

:D

14. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Amazon UK is now stating a release date of 23rd February 2007 :(

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Gran Turismo wasn't even shown at LGC- not playable, not in video form, no images released, no news, no mention.

It's not coming anytime soon.

16. Zadillo macrumors 65816

I'm really wondering if we're ever going to see Gran Turismo Mobile, actually. I remember back before the PSP launched, Gran Turismo and GTA were both cited as games that would really tax the PSP (in GTA's case it was supposed to be the effect that the constant loading of the environment from the UMD would have on battery life, and in the case of GTM it was supposed to be handling all of the cars, etc.).

The last I heard about Gran Turismo Mobile, it was at the very least going to be significantly scaled back; the one detail I remember is that there would only be 4 cars in a race. And even then the battery life of the PSP while playing was still supposed to be terrible.

I just have to think that they must be having a lot of trouble getting it to work right. As others have said, this was one of the first games they hyped up with the PSP (I remember when the PSP design was first unveiled they used a Gran Turismo Mobile UMD alongside it).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it never comes out, at least not for the current PSP. Maybe if Sony does a PSP2 or something it will happen.

17. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Why don't you just phone up my three year old niece and tell her that Santa Claus doesn't exist too you cold hearted bastard! ;)

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! That's the spirit :D

I know it's just a preferance thing, but I'd find a driving 'simulator' which is really meant to be controlled with a steering wheel and played on a big screen, condensed onto a smaller capacity medium (UMD) on a 4" screen (with very bad refresh rate issues) - Controlled with a dodgy analogue 'nub'.... to be about as exciting a prospect as bowel cancer.

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is anything on the PSP multiplayer over the net???

20. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Well that does it. I just went and ordered TOCA Race Driver 2 from amazon for 16 pounds. Pretty reasonable. I really don't like arcade style racers. From the reviews I've read this is the best race sim on the psp so far, so I'm pretty excited to see what its like! Anybody here have it?

I'm kind of annoyed that GT is being delayed so much. It was one of the reasons I bought the psp in the first place (along with GTA which is fantastic).

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sure, what's her phone number? :p

*evil laugh*

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You sure do know how to kill a sprit...Good job:)

Bless

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

24. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I also have a young nephew that you can take along a freshly killed rabbit corpse to and tell him it's the easter bunny if you want to hook up with Praxis :)

I have played all of the GT incarnations with a controller and with the d pad rather than the analogue stick so it would be pretty much the same deal for me to be honest.

25. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I rented TOCA ages ago and to be honest I didn't like it at all. Makes me wonder whether GT will be any good after all. Burnout is so much better on the PSP.