Grand Central

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Clindt, Jun 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I am very interested in any info regarding the new Grand Central technology, especially how it can be used as an application programmer.

2. macrumors 6502a

yeroen

We all are, that and whatever GPGPU API they can conceive.

If you're a C++ programmer, you should, in the interim, check out Intel Threading Building Blocks (TBB) template library. It's open source, and taking a peek inside is quite instructive.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Even if we know we couldn't tell you anything: it's all under NDA.

5. macrumors G5

gnasher729

So am I. But unless you've got a ticket for WWDC, there is no way to get that information legally.

6. macrumors member

I'm sure if you start looking at the docs online you will start to see information about it pop up - but until Apple releases it don't expect to get any information about it.

7. macrumors 603

Cromulent

This is a guess but I would assume that Grand Central is just a higher level wrapper for OpenMP, especially seeing as Apple have been supporting a specific OpenMP distribution for a while now (the one included with Leopard).

8. macrumors 68040

elppa

Posted this on another thread, but anyway:

Source: WWDC 2008: New in Mac OS X Snow Leopard

9. macrumors 68020

Krevnik

Interesting summary. Sounds like the core of it is a brand new scheduler in the kernel. Hopefully there will be some supporting user-level APIs which help a developer tap into the scheduler in an efficient manner. Something similar to the TBB syntax would be really nice as part of it.

I have a couple apps I would like to further parallelize, but writing the support code for it has been a challenge. I might look into TBB in the meantime.

10. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

11. macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is a very interesting development and one which should enable developers who want to target other UNIX platforms feel more comfortable using at least the lower level portions of Grand Central Dispatch.

12. macrumors 6502a

electroshock