Grand Jury Indicts DeLay on New Charge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 3, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry seems the Defense lawyer pointed out the law went into effect in 2003, and the 2002 timing of these illegal acts weren't covered by the later law.

So they just reindicted him on money laundering instead. :confused:

The judge is on vacation, and everybody else doesn't want to touch this.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doubt he is too worried, especially since the key campaign violation, conspiracy to violate the election code, handed down by the grand jury is likely going bye-bye.

Quite sure if they cannot get him on the second indictment, money laundering, they'll probably grasp at even more straws and have him federally idicted for not preventing the reuse a $32 stamp.

But the defense will probably get the entire effort of this grand jury tossed and sent back to a whole new one, which will not likely happen -- the bosses will not likely want to spend that much money again, especially if this turns into a fiasco for the Travis County DA and that office.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:eek:

No need to call people names.

You may want the guy to go down in flames, but the DA may have screwed the pooch on this one.

Should see when the judge get off his vacation.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, I didn't mean to call you a lawyer. :eek:

I really have no idea about the legal issues involved (don't you go calling me a lawyer, bud!), but from what I've read this prosecutor isn't exactly inexperienced nor does he have a reputation for being impetuous or stupid. In fact he came out of retirement for this investigation, did he not? For certain, I don't buy DeLay's defense, which boils down to him attempting to assassinate the DA's character. Pretty lame.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Since when do charges against political leaders need to have merit behind them? ::cough blowjob cough:: ;)

This prosecution of DeLay has always been tenuous. He should have been indicted along with the others in TRMPAC, but he is protected by a (horror of horrors) politically-motivated prosecutor in his own district. But I guess it's OK for a prosecutor to be politically motivated as long as he's protecting DeLay rather than prosecuting him...