Grand Rapids, MI - A place you can call home

Discussion in 'Community' started by efoto, Jun 11, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

Probably soon to be labeled as the ultimate geek thread, but I like my home town!

If you either live in GR, have been to GR, or plan to come then post it here. After reading all of the great responses I'm sure you will all plan a visit :rolleyes: :D

2. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Ok I will move my post to here.

But yeah GR is a great place except the weather. In the winter you freeze you ass off. Then in the summer ,like today, it started the day at 72. Then in the car today at 12 it read that it was 90!! WTF??

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My favorite minor memory of GR (aside from all the major memories) is Vinyl Solutions...I think that's my favorite indie record store ever. :) Ahem, I mean EVAR! :D I don't think it exists anymore, but it used to be on 28th st....

4. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Ah the seasons, lovely full four seasons weather in Michigan, I love it! Winter is cold as frozen hell, summer can get quite hot, spring is just all-around nice and pleasant and fall is full of color and just amazing in nature.

So we are finally getting an AppleStore on the west side of MI!!? :eek: :D Are you serious!?
    I come home July 7 (in France for work for 3 months) and if it is open then I'll be in heaven!

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah I was really excited about it when I heard about it. Yeah the spring and fall has some of the nicest weather around, very pleasnt.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'll move my post too. ;) We were there in early October - great drive round from Chicago stopping at the Indiana sand dunes.

Now that we're on-topic, I do recall the piano bar (near the Amway Grand Plaza hotel which was also fabulous!) which we started the evening in... and was a lot of fun. The next bar I seem to recall involved lots of shots of schnapps etc... ouch...

7. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

efoto, you are in France and you're raving about Grand Rapids? I've been there a couple times but not recently. It's alright, but I'm not sure I would have started a thread about it. I prefer the Traverse Bay, Petosky, Macinack area. I live about a half hour east of Detroit, in suburbia. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Michigan weather despite living here my entire life. I don't mind the cold in the winter as much as how often it is overcast. Michigan is one the cloudiest states in the US, not sure how it ranks with the rest of the world. I just wish we had some more sunshine. Autumn, particularly September and October is my favorite time of the year in Michigan - not to hot, not too cold. The air is crisp and there is often a gentle breeze and the colors of the trees is amazing.

8. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I never really thought of GR natives as being heavy drinkers, but now that you say it and I think about it, I can see it and completely agree that we like our liquer and beer, and hold it pretty damn well too.

I'm just happy with how the city has been growing in the last few years. Van Andel Arena really helped get some big names into the city and spurred the 'tourism' which I never thought GR would have tourists since it isn't a very big city.

I'm risking a war here, but I would argue that GR is probably the nicest city in Michigan currently, and I say that not just because I live there but because I think it really is better. I have taken classes in Lansing (gone downhill in the late years) and Detroit has nice parts but they seem outweighed by the not-nice parts.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

GR is very nice. Ann Arbor is not such a large place, but it would be high on my list too. Detroit isn't "nice" -- it's charms lie in completely different things. But I really do think it has many charms. Detroit is...erm...it's a good place to be a twenty-something, more than a particularly good place to raise children.

10. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I am in France for work, and raving about GR because I love it and can't wait to get home (early July). Its not the greatest place on earth and not for everyone, but I personally love the seasons, hot and cold. I do agree with your overcast assessment though, it sure is cloudly a helluva lot.

11. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Nice parts? There are a few blocks around the sports stadiums and theatres that are nice, aside from that it is awful. The surrounding suburbs have some nice areas such as Ann Arbor, Royal Oak and I do like where I live Plymouth/Northville. However, real estate prices in my area are insane which is why I own a cheap ($140/sq ft) apartment-like condo. I'm only a few blocks from downtown Plymouth, I really like being able to walk down there.

12. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

True, all good points. I was making the point about GR based loosely around it being a nice family town. I was brought-up in GR and love it. I have been all over MI and to over 30 US states and I always end up liking GR for a 'family' the best, although I personally would prefer to live elsewhere if I am still single.

I forgot Ann Arbor which is very nice, although the size of the town is based on the population of the University of Michigan, so its essentially a college town through and through. Of course there are areas not near the campus, but a lot of the people are all UoM attendees.

13. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't want to come out shouting that D-town sucks because I don't have a ton of experience there and I didn't want to make a rash judgement based on the few visits I have to the area. If the movie 8-Mile is any indication of the situation, then Detroit really sucks :p

I have been to a few of the suburbs and they are very nice, so its hard to classify the entire city as crappy when there are redeeming qualities, even though they may be few.

14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i havent really heard any good things about GR until this thread but i like where i live as of now (Livonia)

but next friday i am moving to the burbs of chicago for college. passed through GR a few times but it was mostly at night for the drive up north.

15. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Livonia isn't all bad, there are places I have been for friend's houses that were nice but its getting towards the sticks for my liking.

What college in Chi-town are you going to?

16. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Fair to reserve your opinion if you haven't been to D-town much. I grew up two miles from eight mile so I believe I am justified in saying this - Detroit sucks! That goes for the city itself, as for the surrounding suburbs it varies quite a bit, some very nice towns, some crappy ones and a lot in between.

As for Ann Arbor, I've lived there and there is a lot of U of M students and staff, but Pfizer has really been building up in A2 so that brought even more people into town. I lived in Ann Arbor/Ypsi area for 7 years before moving to Plymouth. I like Ann Arbor, very diverse, a lot to do... but I'm not sure I would want to live there permanently.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, so it's finally time? I remember when you mentioned that you were thinking about doing this. Congratulations! I hope you love Chi-town! My, ahem, *other* favorite Midwestern city. :D

18. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

haha livonia is like the top 5 safest cities in the US, i wasnt too sure as to what you meant by "sticks"

i am going to dupage community in glen ellyn for 2 yrs

then northern illinois for 4

19. Calihafan macrumors member

My mom went to Calvin, everyone at my church either is going, or has gone to Calvin, and my Uncle is a senior dean at Calvin. So I've been to Grand Rapids many times.

Kind of gets boring after a while though, doesn't it?

Calih

20. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

That is actually quite the funny response based on what I meant....

"Sticks" was meant to imply country or low-population-density....which it is, and therefore results in lower crimerate. So yes, Livonia is a very safe, and very....you get the picture ;)

I'm not sayings its all bad, don't get me wrong, I just prefer a little more city than that. GR is a good fit for me currently being smaller than Chicago but bigger than, o I don't know, say Livonia :rolleyes:

21. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

BLASPHEMY! I move to have you removed eternally for all internet usage from any terminal and have an ankle-locator on at all times :confused:

I sentence you to never visit GR again! which from the sound of things from your vantage that wouldn't be aweful punishment :p

Its not the best, not the worst, but I think its pretty nice and really like how it all functions. If it's true we are getting an Apple Store in Woodland mall then that makes GR even more of a 'hot spot' seeing as it would be the only Apple Store to the west of Yipsi (I believe....two over there, closest on the west is Chicago which is actually twice as far as driving to Yipsi is :( )

22. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Livonia is a pretty big town. It's only half the population of GR, but 100,000 people is certainly not "the sticks".

23. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

hahaha my bad i didnt know what you were saying, everyone i meet that isnt from around here thinks its like some small hick ass country town, but the other funny thing is i am always meeting someone in other places that are from here. yea it kinda sucks here. whatev

24. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

never thought i would see a thread based on an obscure michigan city. well, maybe not that obscure. i'm in suburbia right now. middle upper-class sterling heights. it annoys me alot. but i guess it suits me cause i'm a geek. i've been to GR once, to shoot a car dealership spot. seemed pretty nice. a lot more down to earth than some of the materialism in the more upperclass areas surrounding detroit *cough* birmingham *cough* royal joke. i would like to spend some time in GR, just cause gillian anderson grew up there :p

25. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I don't know if you care or not but The Prisident, Gerald R. Ford also grew up there and has a museum. Not that exciting but a way to kill an afternoon. And I too never thought that I would see a thread that was talking about GR.