'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' Arrives for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rockstar Games has released the iOS port of their blockbuster hit Grand Theft Auto: Vice City tonight. It's essentially the same game you played in 2002 but with touch enhancements.

Our sister site TouchArcade has a walkthrough video of the game that shows off some of the gameplay on iOS.
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is available on the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' Arrives for iOS

2. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

No iPad? :(

3. macrumors 6502a

It's a universal app. So yes iPad.

4. macrumors member

Onscreen keyboard is always in front of the game blocking some control buttons... IOS 6.01/iPad 3rd Gen

5. macrumors 604

Been waiting for this - GTAIII was probably the best game I purchased for my iOS devices, it provides almost unlimited entertainment for only $6.49 :)

----------

Yeah, it works on all iOS devices - My friend played GTAIII on his iPad 1.

6. macrumors 6502a

Had the same problem. Reinstalled the app a few times but this keyboard glitch still appeared. To fix it close the game then go to the spotlight search area and dock and merge the keyboard then you should be able to relaunch the game without the keyboard being in the way.

7. macrumors regular

pauliaK

This is probably the game that I've spent the most time playing ever. However I doubt I'd play it again. I've bought GTA III once it had launched and never actually played it :). Nevertheless happy to see quality games like this coming to iOS.

8. macrumors regular

No widescreen?

Why is the game full screen (4:3) and not 16:9? The PS2 version had 16:9 support.

9. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

For something like iPhone or iPad, GTA VC obviously leaves too many things to be done. Some missions are ridiculously difficult to be solved using proper controller/keyboard, and now it's full touch control.

Not to mention it has so many challenge, collectibles and unlockables. It was fun, In fact I completed the whole game 100% but I just can't do it anymore on an iPad.

Yeah.. Expect nothin less than just brag off that my iOS device have Vice City

10. macrumors 65816

antonis

Indeed, that's always the biggest challenge for any game that is ported to iOS and coming from a different platform. Touch controls sometimes just can't do the job for games that made for mouse and - lots of - keys. They do shine, though, in games made for touch devices in the first place.

11. macrumors member

It has 5 stars out of 5 in the app store. Must be pretty good the game :)

12. macrumors 6502a

I would like to get it, but touch control aiming was just too frustrating with GTA III (driving and the rest was fine). I doubt they made it better with Vice City.

13. macrumors 68000

What device are you playing on?

iPhone 5 has widescreen.

14. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

Well the iPad isn't listed under "requirements" so I assumed it wouldn't work but it does. I completed GTA 3 so this came out just in time :D

15. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

2002??? Holy cow! Is it that old? I am getting old, time just zooms by! :eek:

16. macrumors 65816

mixel

Given your early Workbench shell icon avatar I'd guess you've been getting old for a while. :) (I totally relate, haha)

In other news, GTA5 is looking lovely.

17. macrumors 604

IMO GTAIII was sweet as with touch controls, and so far Vice City seems to be as well... They didn't a pretty good implementation. Certainly wasn't half-assed.

18. macrumors 6502

Just played it for around 49 minutes on my iPhone 5. It is fullscreen and the controls are a bit better I think than GTA3.
    God that gorgeous soundtracks. This game diserves a buy for the music only !
    Time to put the entire OST on my iPod.

19. macrumors 6502

Colpeas

If Rockstar is going to stick to its 10th anniversary editions, we might see San Andreas coming in 2014. Yeah!

In the meantime, lets enjoy Vice City ;) Such a shame there's no multiplayer (i know that it was the same with the original vice city...)

20. macrumors 65816

kirky29

How awesome!

I remember I had this on PS2, I got through over 11 discs! I wore this game out...bad.

The only game that tops this...is San Andreas.

21. macrumors 68040

Did you even watch the video?

The game IS 16:9 - its just the cutscenes that run at 4:3 or letterbox

It's based on the PC version, which had way better graphic abilities than the PS2 version.

22. macrumors regular

Could you be more specific with the amount of time you played? ;)

23. macrumors regular

Caseynd

Controls

Is there a bluetooth controller or something like it that would work with this instead of touch control? That would rock!

24. macrumors newbie

HATE virtual controls.

25. macrumors 6502a

They've really paid attention to the shortcomings of GTA III touch controls. I've gone and collected all the hidden packages in a helicopter before the first mission and it handles beautifully. :)