graphic cards for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aaoo, Sep 2, 2004.

1. aaoo macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2004
    How big is the differences between G5PM graphics cards, "GeForce FX
    5200 Ultra", "Radeon 9600XT" and "Radeon 9800XT"? I saw some benchmarks on "9600 Pro", "9800 OEM", "9800 Special edition" and
    "FX 5200 (w/o Ultra)". Are those different from these current cards
    of choises from Apple for G5PM?
  2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    The difference between the 9600pro and the 9600xt: You can run games at the same speed but at higher texture quality with the 9600xt because the 9600xt has twice as much vram... but other than that, they are the same card... some may argue, but the difference is not noticable beyond that.

The difference between the 9800pro and the 9800xt is roughly a 10% increase in performance, and twice the video memory with the XT version. The XT is a little faster and allows you to have better texture quality because of increased vram..

So, now that you know the difference between cards of the same chipset...

You can expect the 9600pro & xt to be well worth the upgrade cost when ordering. These are decent chipsets that will run most current games acceptably for the mac. The 5200 Ultra is a piece of crap dude...

Then, you'll notice HUGE difference between the 9600pro/xt and the 9800pro/xt. The 9800 will give the ability to play every game acceptably for the mac. This is definately a nice upgrade, but this is where it gets expensive. I would recommend the 9800XT or 9800 pro special edition to anyone who plans on playing future games on the mac.

Lastly, there is the nvidia 6800 Ultra. This card is twice as fast as the 9800XT. Literally. I just got an email today from apple and they said this card preforms comparably to the PC version. I would recommend this card to anyone who plans on playing future games WELL on the mac.

It boils down to how much money you have in your pocket. :)
  3. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    What about reliability?

I am upgrading my old Dual 1.25 to a Rev B 2.0 G5.

I have been satisfied with whatever it is that my G4 has in it (ATI Rage perhaps) as I do not game at all. Just Photoshop, FCE, iDVD, browsing.

Is there any truth to this? Or is the "rippling" and "revving" issue more to do with the OS (10.3.3 vs 10.3.5)?

Thanks, I appreciate your knowledge. I'm just a little worried of some of these issues with such a big purchase.
  4. alexf macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Listen, if you don't do any gaming the G5 2.0 stock card (5200 Ultra) is absolutely FINE, although if you are ordering through the Apple store you might as well spend the extra $50 or so to upgrade to the 9600XT, as it's more future proof, has twice as much memory, and will probably run some features of "Tiger" slightly better.

Everything that you mentioned you do (i.e. Photoshop, iDVD, etc.) has essentially nothing to do with the graphics card. I work professionally as a designer and cannot notice any real difference between my 4 year old G4 and my new G5 (both with stock cards).

You (and others) should understand that games are INCREDIBLY demanding on graphics cards. If you're sure you won't be playing any future 3D games you might as well go with the stock 5200 in your new computer.

If you don't play any games, don't take any graphics card advice from a gamer! Just me little 2¢... ;)
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you don't game at all: 5200FX

If you game sometimes: 9600XT

If you gave A LOT: 9800XT

Also, price is an issue. For budget conscience, the 9600XT will be FINE for even Doom3 (although not at highest resolution, etc...).
  6. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Thanks, crazzyeddie! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Now, it's just a matter of a so-called "rippling" problem (when scrolling by dragging the scroll bar) and a fan revving issue when doing the same; some have reported that it only happens with the ATI cards, hence, may make a difference in my decision.

Anyone here have one of these ATIs in a G5 without any problems? If not, the 9600xt looks a perfect choice for me...
  7. alexf macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    I haven't heard anything about this myself, but am not the kind of person that would be aware of such problems anyway.

If I'm not mistaken, the 9600XT does not have another fan; I believe the more expensive ones do, so extra noise shoudn't be any issue.

Go ahead and get the 9600XT if you're buying from Apple online, since it's only $50 more, but again, the 5200 Ultra would probably be fine for your needs, since you're not a gamer. I am a designer working on a G5 with the stock 5200 Ultra (and running two 17" Apple displays!) and the card is fine.