Graphic Converter+GIMP vs. Bibble Lite+GIMP vs. PSE+Bridge

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wmmk, Nov 8, 2006.

?

Which is the best bet for a serious amateur digital photographer?

1. Bibble Lite+GIMP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Graphic Converter+GIMP (and possibly noise ninja)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. PSE 4.0+Bridge

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I'm buying my K100D this weekend and will be needing a RAW to JPEG or TIFF converter/image browser/basic editor. I've heard from some people that Graphic Converter can do almost as much as PSE and be a browser/converter, which sounds really nice. Then there's Bibble Lite which has great noise reduction and other touch up stuff and is a nice browser, but can't do much manipulation. I'd probably lightly use GIMP with both of those.

Then, there's the costly but worldwide standard option: Photoshop Elements with Bridge. This is tried and true and uses standard .psd files, but it's not universal which totally sucks.

Anyway, I might also get noise ninja if I don't end up with bibble, which may include a noise ninja plugin. Is that worth the $35? Thanks a bunch,
    wmmk

2. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

should this be in digital photography instead?

3. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

It could be as simple as what your budget would allow. I use PS CS1 every day and would love to have a PS alternative so I don't have to upgrade to PS CS3 for the universal binary to run on my Intel Macs. I looked at Gimp 2 today and downloaded it but have not installed it yet because I did not have my system disc for X11. I have used Gimp prior to 2.0 and did not like it because I have used PS for so long since about PS 2 or so. If you don't have to have PS and don't have a PS history Gimp could be easy to learn (but minus the features) or if you don't have the budget for PS Gimp may be the way to go. That said PS is nice and easier to use in my opinion compared to Gimp. I am sure you can learn either or both. I have tried Bibble and Noise Ninja. I remember Bibble being pricey. I liked Noise Ninja but did not need it often. I did not use Bibble at all. I also tried something this week called Light Zone http://www.lightcrafts.com/index.php but again found it too different from PS to start using now. It seemed handy. It was cheaper than PS not free like Gimp.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Remember Gimp doesn't have CMYK support (supposedly now available with a separate plugin though). People, including non-PS users, report that it's pretty tricky to get a hang of the interface but it's OK once you do. I'm a long time PS user and I could not stand Gimp's interface at all.

GraphicConverter is a GREAT converter and a alright image browser too. Can't vouch for it's editing capabilities, but there is a surprising amount of things available. I'd go for that if you can't afford/don't want Photoshop right now.

5. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

hmmm.....
    I've actually used GIMP more than PS, so I know it's interface better, although the Photoshop interface is generally more appealing to me. Speaking of interface, that's a fairly big concern. In fact, that's why I'm on a mac. So far Graphic Converter feels like OS9, LightZone feels like windows, bibble is surprising nice though not like an apple app, and Aperture is simply wonderful!!! If only education discounts extended to 8th graders!

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You might consider trying the 30-day demo of Aperture, or for that matter LightRoom. For a photographer these two blow everything else away IMHO (Disclaimer - I'm an Aperture user).

If the cost is an obstacle then Photoshop Elements is quite nice. I used to use the Gimp quite a bit when I was running Linux for my desktop OS, but it falls way down in the ease-of-use category.