Graphic Design Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheHorseKilla, Jun 26, 2005.

1. TheHorseKilla macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2005
    I am a design student in need of a computer for the coming semester. I will be using the Creative Suite and later on Macromedia. I have decided to get a PowerBook with 1 gig RAM SuperDrive 128 meg video card. I am just curious about the video card, is that overkill? Are there any other options I might explore? And finally, how is Crucial's RAM? Their RAM is much cheaper than Apple's RAM upgrade. Thanks.
  2. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    sounds like a good choice

128 mb video ram is more than enough for your standard graphic design uses

the powerbook has a port where you can connect a large lcd screen so you have that option

...and you won't want to do homework all day, so the 128 mb of video ram will come in handy for gaming
  3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    you are forgetting one thing though...

Hard drive space.

I have a 200 Gb drive in a PC acting as a fileserver for my powerbook and it's right full by now. I have multiple 1.5 GB photoshop files left over from my Digital Compositing class alone. And If you ever do video, DV is almost 4 meg a second and uncompressed out from after effects is like 30 or so.

Time to get that new 500 GB seagate that everyone's raving about...
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Don't forget either that as a student you'll be eligible for the educational discount – that should help your budget a little. :)
  5. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Dont waste your money. 64 meg of VRAM is more than enough for imahe work. Its also enough to play most games
  6. icarusflies macrumors member

Jun 15, 2005
    64mb is more than enough.

I manage the design department in a busy magazine publishers.
    OK we are about to upgrade to PMG5s but we are using
    PMG4s at the moment 32mbVRAM, 1gb ram, OSXPanther (Tiger in a few months)
    ... and we're running fine at the moment.
    Graphic design isn't as power hungry as it used to be.
    It's only if your doing a lot of heavy Photoshop and Distilling (actrobat) you need something with a bit of grunt.

The Adobe CS2 does rely on Quartz quite heavily, but 64mb is more than enough to run it.

Don't waste you're money on extra VRam - spend it on an external firewire HD
    - you'll need storage rather than VRam.
    All laptops have quite slow drives for battery and heat issues - so a quick external HD will speed you up considerably when you're not on the move.

And finally RAM
    Crucial seem a bit pricey at the moment.
    I try and get Kingston when I can. Good prices at the moment.
    - and the old saying is true. Buy as much as you can afford. 1GB should be enough.
  7. enoch macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    How long will you have your computer?

If this is only a short-term solution, 64mb of vram will be fine. If, on the other hand, you will be using the computer that you are buying now in five years time, you might think that the extra vram is a good investment.
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Stay with 128MB VRAM. More VRAM = more performance. Plus, what you buy now is what that PowerBook will always have in it- can't upgrade it later.
  9. TheHorseKilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was feeling a little unsure about my decision with all the speculation about upgrades. My confidence is up, and I'm ready to purchase. I will be going to order the PowerBook today. As for the V-RAM, 64 megs seemed like it would be enough, but the upgrade is onle $90. That almost feels like pocket change when you're spending $2,000+ on a computer.

Also, I found Crucial to be about $7 dollars cheaper than Kingston. What do you guys use?
  10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Crucial, but it's just my opinion. Many others may agree though.

Good luck/Congrats on the purchase!

Where will you be attending?
  11. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I matched the RAM that came with my PowerBook, which happened to be Samsung. I had 512 as 2 x 256 sticks and bought a 1GB Samsung stick, to come out with 1.25GB total. It's been working great for almost a year now.
  12. amac4me macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    I agree ... if you can afford it, get a system with 128MB. Also, I've used Crucial memory in my G5 and have never had a problem.