Graphic Design Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by b84, Feb 15, 2007.

1. b84 macrumors member

I PLAN ON KEEPING THIS LAPTOP FOR 3-4 YEARS...i ordered a 2.33MBP 15"glossy. 2g mem. 160gb harddrive.256ati graphics.
    I WILL BE USING FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN AND VIDEO EDITING ALONG W/WEB DESIGN

PLEASE hELp
    1. should i return the order and wait for a newer model since it has been awhile since the release.

2. IF they release a new one, should i just buy this model with a lower price NOT THE NEWER MODEL SINCE THEY WILL BE DISCOUNTED?, is this machine good for what i need it for??

3. Change my screen to matte(i plan on buying an external 23 LCD)and call it quits.

and
    4. just not to worry about it and keep my congif

5.also i plan on buying a keyboard/mouse !!!Logitech Cordless Desktop S 530 vs. MAC wireless keyboard and mighty mouse

2. hidea macrumors regular

1) The next expected release is this summer, an update to the Display Panel (LED), and updated CPU, bumping it to newest T-series CPU (can't remember the model number now)

2) It's a very good machine. I own the first gen, 17MBP, rev. A. It's still sufficient in terms of what I need to do with it. But I've been spoiled with a Mac Pro :p. But I hardly ever have to say myself.. c'mon.. load faster. It's a fast machine!

3) Whatever you want. Personal preference. Do matte if you want 'true' colours. Gloss has this impression that colours look prettier, and more vibrant. Yea, sure, but that does not help you in reality when a bunch of other people are looking at your colours in ******** screens. Get something that you could use to match to their levels.

4) What?

5) Forget the S530. Worst product ever by Logitech. Get the wired apple keyboard + Logitech Mx Revolution :D. S530 has nice Mouse, but TERRIBLE keyboard. Well, anything is still better than MBP's lack of ergonomic keyboard.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

S530 is garbage. Stay away. The mouse sucks in my opinion, volume buttons on the mouse? Excuse me I have I have that on my keyboard thanks. And the button are in such a crappy place. Ugh. It sucks. Don't buy it.

I would recommend a BT keyboard and MM from Apple. They are fantastic, and no need for a USB reciever. Make a keyboad for the Mac yet not use bluetooth? What were they thinking!? Idiot over there I tell you.

Updates are while away. Serisouly. I would keep it, it is a blazing machine.

I would go with matte for graphics, however some have the noted the display as "grainy." Do a search in the Macbook section for it.

Chances are if a new model does comes (assuming you don't own one) I doubt stores will be dishing them out at a lower price. I am not sure on that though.

I say cancel, go matte maybe add a BT keyboard and MM and be happy. You will love it.

4. b84 thread starter macrumors member

very insightful

thnx 4 replies.....this is my thing i can buy the logitech for the price of the Mighty mouse. its 60 at amazon(logitech)

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Your config is fine although maybe a matt screen would be better

6. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

i would vote for the matte, too. i agree that the gloss looks prettier (as long as you can see it through the glare), but in design, it's not what YOU'RE seeing that matters as much as what the client sees.

i get spoiled on my 30" Cinema, things look bright, crisp & colorful and then i'll go look at my site on my parents' 17" crappy, yellowy CRT and it looks totally different.

if you start playing the "i'll just wait for the next rev" game, you'll be twiddling your thumbs forever. technology train is always moving, just jump on. if we were close to a BIG update (like the switch to Intel), i would say hang on, but that laptop is MUCH better than my old 1.67GHz G4 and i do design on it almost daily. admittedly, it feels really slow now compared to my Mac Pro, but most computers do!

my $.02 on the mouse: i hate apple mice. the mighty mouse just isn't ergonomic. i like logitech or MS mice. get one w/ a few extra buttons that you don't think you'll need, then when you notice what commands you use ALL the time, set them to the buttons. i have my 2 thumb buttons set to CLOSE & QUIT. it's great to blow through about a dozen open windows by a quick click of my thumb.

enjoy it, kick some ass, make some great designs...

7. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

My MBP 2.33

is a complete workhorse. I run it with a dell ultrasharp 24 inch and I don't think you can go wrong...

if you wait you might see a speed boost to 2.5 or 2.6, but I think that is the difference of maybe 2-5% and nominal in the scheme of things.

you will enjoy it...trust me.

8. b84 thread starter macrumors member

THNX EVERYONE ON THE REPLIES

so i think i will go with matte though even if i get an external..

IT JUST KILLS ME CAUSE I WAITED THIS LONG AND I HAVE TO WAIT LONGER ESPICALLY WHEN THE PACKAGE IS IN MY HANDS, NO JOKE I HAVE THE SON OF A BITCH IN MY HANDS!!

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you have built to order configurations? then I don't think you can return it even if you want (assuming you're in the USA)

11. b84 thread starter macrumors member

I Am In The Us, I Heard That I Can Return It If It Was Unopen.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from Apple's pollicy statement on returns & refunds:

Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA.

here's the link; http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

13. mistyz23 macrumors member

mistyz23

I'm an artist and the laptop that I have is incredibly fast in the programs I use. Mine is the 2.16, too. You should have no problem, and I find it hard to believe that your machine will be outdated and unable to do your workload in 3-4 years. Since it looks like you can't return it now anyway, you will be just fine.

14. mattibek macrumors member

Same setup

I've got that exact setup... Loving it! I like the glossy screen and I use it with Rhino, A-cad, CS2. Sure I have to do test prints and adjustments, but it doesn't change much, people seem afraid of the glossy for some reason but it's so beautiful I don't care if others viewing my renderings on ****** comps can't enjoy them. Don't worry you made a great investment. The mighty mouse however sucks, it's beautiful and I love it, but it's not great for graphic design. It gets confused and you will swear! But I still use it couse it's so pretty. Also recommend parallels with the bootcamp partition the safety of a partition with the crossover ease of parallels.

15. b84 thread starter macrumors member

not to be rude but when i said i heard, i mean that i heard from apple that i can return it; called them on the cust rep number off the apple website.

Just make sure the box aint opened

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sure....I was just directing you to Apple's official policy statement for your consideration

If somebody at apple told you that you could return it then I'll assume that you don't have any of those custom build options they say you can't return; or if you do, then I'll assume that you told the apple guy about that so he knew what your situation is and wasn't assuming you had a stock configuration

17. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

what he said^^

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

God please.

Is there still that misnomer that Macs are better for Graphic Design? Can someone please explain that one to me right now? Cause I've never though of it as making much sense.

19. mattibek macrumors member

I'm not sure there is any differance, much it's what you prefer. But I think people who use Macs think more visually and PC more mathematically. It is more a matter of how the OS works as opposed to much else these days. Like I have CS2 on both my Mac and PC and I prefer using the Mac for some reason.... and then there is the resolution. I design differant things on my mac then on my PC and I can't say why but I like my mac designs more, I think I have more fun doing them. The Mac design is inspiration in itself!

20. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

'bout time someone mentioned it... ;)

21. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Whoa... uh, if you do return it and buy another one... if you ordered your ram from apple I would go w/ stock and install my own (as I did on my macbook) which is much cheaper and not very difficult at all.