Graphic Design Teacher a MORON

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Nov 23, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

I am a freshman in HS. For one of my graphic design projects I have to make a brochure about something using indesign/pagemaker. So I made a brochure for a car, as if you were to be buying one and the dealership would give you this short informational packet.

So I had the teacher look at the rough draft of the project. He thought that I had copied it from an actual brochure and none of the work is mine- even though my project was on my computer. Nothing I wrote was copied from the car companies website except for some pictures.

So now I have to go back and change much of the project.

2. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Fight it - go to your principal and fight it. Unless he has proof that you did in fact copy it from somewhere, he can't have you redo it.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

In one sense, it's a nice compliment to your work - it must have looked quite professional. So good work.

But I agree with besler3035 - if your teacher is relying purely on an assumption based on the quality of the work, then that is poor judgment on his part. I'm assuming you've attempted to explain this to your teacher and failed. You don't want to alienate your teacher, but you also can't have them believing you've stolen work from someone else - state your case to the principal.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's tough.

Apart from the injustice of it all, welcome to the world of graphic design where a completed piece of artwork will be summarily dismissed by the client for any reason whatsoever forcing you to start again from scratch and meet the deadline.

It completely sucks but this happens in the real world all the time.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nothing you wrote.... but its not the writing that is being judged here it's the layout and design skills.

Besides the pictures, are you sure you didn't use existing brochures as inspiration for the layout/design of the piece? Perhaps that's what the teacher sees as too similar.

6. iGav macrumors G3

No you don't.

An accusation of plagiarism is a serious one, and one that you shouldn't except if you haven't plagiarised.

Stand your ground.

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

A lot of people would use other pamflets for inspiration. If you had never done a pamflet before you would need to find some pamflets to research and study as to how a pamflet 'works.' You just try and avoid copying everything from one and add your own touches of flair in.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You are taking Graphic Design. You're supposed to come up with new and innovative designs. Your teacher is probably telling you to re-do it because your work isn't so much copied, but maybe not creative enough? He's probably seen similar designs in car brochures. That's my guess anyway.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Seldom does 'new and innovative' apply in graphic design though, neither does outright originality. it's one of the most traditional and conservative of any of the design disciplines.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

why don't you post here a pdf/jpg of the 'rejected' design? possibly along the 'inspiration' you used, if there is one. it would help give you informed feedback.

it is normal to look up pre-existing pamphlet/brochures for inspiration and to see what 'works', but it makes a big difference the amount of ideas/elements that where carried into your project.

If yours is truly an independent project, than I agree that you should stand your ground and (politely) make the teacher understand that IT IS your work and not a copy of someone else's, or to better explain why it is not satisfactory.

You don't want the teacher to think that you go out and just copy stuff.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe you looked at a bunch of car brochures in the past, but subconsciously took enough elements from one you liked and incorporated them without knowing it?

Maybe your teacher has collected many of the brochures available and yours seems to be very very similar to one of them?:confused:

12. ATD macrumors 6502a

Agreed. An accusation of plagiarism is a serious one. I interviewed a guy many years ago who had some my work in his portfolio. I RIPPED him a new one. If it's your work, stand your ground.

13. Chubypig macrumors 6502

Don't most people who design do that? I mean, isn't all design a compilation of what you like, which is often inspired by other works?

14. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

god, i thought my art teacher was a moron, but he'd never do anything like that!! :eek: (least i dont think). you really should talk to him about it, and (calmly) ask him to show proof that you copied it. if it looks good enough to fool him into thinking it's a professional job, that's a great thing and you should be proud.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not if you're doing work for a client, it isn't. It has nothing to do with 'like' and all to do with the brief. If they insist that their display copy is in 24pt Arial, that's what you will do (even though you might feel like sneaking Helvetica Neue in there instead).

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I hate that. I released a shmup over a year ago, a tribute to the shmups of my childhood (R-Type, UN Squadron, Disposable Hero) and the main craft was styled around the R-Type 3 craft but a little more sleeker. anywho, this rather angry community started what can only be described as a hate campaign against me! All because i made a free game that had been styled around R-Type 3, AND advertised as such!

If I were you i'd fight all the way. if there is anything I've learned with internet shopping (including eBay) and moronic lecturers its to fight them tooth and nail until you are proved right.

Again! it happened again! I produced a little comedy vid called The Plastix (on my site too *PLUG!*) which was some MTV Matrix spoof but with Lego. Anyways this tutor who I was top mates with didn't believe I made it! Then again it is about 6-8 minutes long where other peoples stop-motion projects were only 15-30 seconds. but hey, I gave him the raw footage on a DVD and he was my bitch :p :D
    AGAIN! FIGHT! FIGHT! always fight.

17. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Most Art teachers ARE morons. I'm sorry to say it but it is true.
    Can any other hapless art students relate to me on this?
    You can only really learn great art by a hardtasking master artist. That's my firm belief.
    If you have the talent, you can always refine it. If you don't have talent you are wasting your time. Unless you are doing it just for fun then it doesn't matter; stick it on your fridge proudly.

18. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

If this is the case,, then tweak it and move on. Creating something new is an admirable and worthy cause.
    If he is accusing you of plagiarizing your work - perhaps he should be politely asked to back up his statement .

I had a simliar experience in college, and when I politely asked the prof to offer evidence, the misunderstanding was revealed and I was vindicated. Good luck

19. CompUser thread starter Guest

Here are the front and back pages of my brochure:

(just a note, there are magains on the side so that it can be bound together)

Attached Files:

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

dude, consider that a compliment

you may have a future in that field

21. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Sorry, no offense, but I can't tell how that could be misinterpreted as a professional brochure, it has absolutely no info on the product.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ever seen ads by, um, apple inc ;)

but seriously, i like a lot of high budget minimalist ads from the likes of apple inc, ibanez guitars, movado, etc

23. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

It doesnt get any easier, only harder, if you plan on studying Graphic Design in College.

If you are serious about continuing with G.D., start gathering everything that you can for ideas. Car brochures, restaurant menues, make a scrapbook of images that inspire you, scans of book covers...

Get sketch books, draw draw draw, youll be asked to prove your ability sketching human figures (realistic sketches and line/comic), perspective 1pt, 2pt, 3pt, and multi pt perspectives of interiors and exteriors. Learn how to create a storyboard.

Calligraphy, learn and practice all forms of calligraphy

Photography, learn everything that you can, and take lots and lots of photos, Digital and Film.

Color Theory, learn everything there is to know abot color, its effects, and the use of and meaning of colors around the globe. What color is the wedding dress in China, why? Work with paint, and understand how to work with it. I hate painting, but have had to use it for a few color classes.

Do well in English and creative writting, you'll need it when it comes to working on advertising assignments

Packaging, really look at packaging, notice what is good packaging and bad packaging, ask yourself why it is good or why is it bad. Could you redesign the packaging and product, if so, create it. How does the packaging represent the product, and what kind of person is the product marketed toward.

Typography, know foundries, and the artists behind the fonts. Work on recreating fonts by hand on drawing paper. Know the anatomy of type, ascender, descender, bowl, stroke, cap height ...
    Computer skills are great, but not everything, when it comes to graphic design.
    I am currently studying Graphic Design at The Academy of Art University in S.F.
    Hopefully my advice, will help you create a strong portfolio if your serious about Graphic Design

Graphic Designers wear many hats.

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No. Most design is a solution to a problem. I don't really like purple, for instance, but it may be exactly what is needed for a given execution.

I think what your prof. might be reacting to is the question of design substance. What is there really, besides some big photos and some centered type? I'm not ripping on your design, I'm just trying to think as he might.

25. CompUser thread starter Guest

Yes there is text on it, I just decided to put up the front and back covers of the brochure. Inside there are some pictures and text on the car and a comparison chart.

I like to go for the minimalist effect. Us being apple people should appreciate that style. Apparently he does not have very high expectations.

If anyone was confused as far as colors, the two main colors and green and blue, both color matched from Land Rovers website to make it as professional as possible.