Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chx_chx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Hi Guys,

Im thinking of buying the MBA 13" 2015 with i7 and 8gb ram.

I will be using Adobe AI, PS, FCP and multi-tasking between PS, AI and web browsing. Is the above spec enough for this kinda use?

(Most will say get rMBP, with the better screen and trackpad - I'm contemplating the above as I need the portability.)

Thanks!

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Hi Guys,

Im thinking of buying the MBA 13" 2015 with i7 and 8gb ram.

I will be using Adobe AI, PS, FCP and multi-tasking between PS, AI and web browsing. Is the above spec enough for this kinda use?

(Most will say get rMBP, with the better screen and trackpad - I'm contemplating the above as I need the portability.)

Thanks!

There won't be much difference in terms of speed and storage between the MBA and rMBP.

Depending on the graphic design work you do, you might value the better screen for its better color gamut and accuracy. But again, that's depending on the kind of work you do.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have a fully-loaded 2013 11", which performs very well with CC apps. It chugs a bit with heavily-layered PS projects, but AI is very smooth. You might find the dual-core lagging a bit with FCP.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There won't be much difference in terms of speed and storage between the MBA and rMBP.

Depending on the graphic design work you do, you might value the better screen for its better color gamut and accuracy. But again, that's depending on the kind of work you do.

Quoting for emphasis. Gamut and gamma on these TN panels is distinctly worse than on the IPS panels used in the retina machines. If color accuracy matters, you actually need the retina panel.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I have a fully-loaded 2013 11", which performs very well with CC apps. It chugs a bit with heavily-layered PS projects, but AI is very smooth. You might find the dual-core lagging a bit with FCP.

You'd have to move up to a 15" rMBP to get more than a dual core. The OP seems focused on portability.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
13 rMBP would be optimal. It is far from unportable. Only half a pound heavier and it actually has a smaller footprint. Coming from a 2008 13" and a 2010 15" it's amazingly light and portable.

I own both a 2015 13" 8GB/256GB MBA and a (late) 2013 13" rMBP 8GB/256GB. The performance isn't that much different. The rMBP is a little faster overall, but not by much. The glaringly obvious advantage is the display.

I took some pictures at night (like my profile pic) in RAW and went to edit them in Photoshop. I opened up both of them full screen on my MBA and rMBP next to each other (with a 2009 13" MBP for good measure) and it was a night and day difference (no really, the night looked like night on the rMBP and on the MBA display it was much more washed out and lacked contrast). In fact the old 2009 13" MBP screen beat the pants off the 2015 MBA. And this is after making sure the MBA's display was calibrated. That made a big difference itself.

Yes it is a little lighter and I highly value that on the go and for work around campus, but for serious photo/graphics work I'd go with the rMBP. Though you do get a little more real estate on the 13" MBA at default settings, but you can scale up the rMBP to match it.

The only reason I'd recommend the MBA is if you need battery life and weight more than color accuracy and extra ports. Or if you use an external display that is pretty good when you're doing work. Otherwise, rMBP all the way.

Edit: Both are powerful enough in my experience. I have Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Logic Pro X, Adobe CC 2015 (AI, PS, ID, PR/AE) and CS5, Mainstage and more on both the MBA and MBP. They handle it all very well. The MBA is actually surprisingly quick even when editing large 1080p files thanks in part to the SSD getting over 1GB/s R/W speeds even with the 1.6GHz Core i5 and the HD6000. Obviously 15" would be preferable, but that's outside of it's main workflow.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
You'd have to move up to a 15" rMBP to get more than a dual core. The OP seems focused on portability.

I'm not sure where I inferred that the dual-core processor in the MBA wasn't enough! I own both a 15" rMBP and an 11" MBA, so I clearly understand the portability distinction.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I'm not sure where I inferred that the dual-core processor in the MBA wasn't enough! I own both a 15" rMBP and an 11" MBA, so I clearly understand the portability distinction.

Sure just replying to your comment about FCP lagging with dual core.

chx_chx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Thank you guys, Ive taken all your advice into consideration. Seeing that I'm doing arts management, I may not really be that focused on graphics anymore. I've decided to get the MBA and upgrade it to i7 and 8gb ram.

Appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.