graphic designers: why suitcase?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by believo, Oct 20, 2004.

1. believo macrumors regular

May 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've always used extensis suitcase, but now that OSX has font book is there any reason to continue using suitcase?
  2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2004
    Perth, WA, Australia
    yes and no,

-suitcase tends to work better with large font collections and lots of activated fonts.
    -i have been running suitcase 11.0.0, 11.0.2, 11.0.4 and have had problems with it crashing (like everytime i load a font) and for the fonts to activate i have to load them and then disable and then reenable em. :eek: (looks for suiable instument to bash the monitor with... dont want to hurt the mac its not its fault)

only my thoughts.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Unless Font Book works better at some point, there is no reason to use it past initially setting up font files.

I have to set everything and then, I re-boot to release the memory it took. The last time I used it, it took all but about 48MB on a 1.5 GB system with about 800+MB free. It's just as well to have all typefaces enabled all the time.
  4. Col. Panic macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    I have 10 artists in my department and 10 editors that all need access to the same font set. Therefor, we use the Suitcase client in conjunction with Suicase Server. This allows me to administer the server from my machine and make sure everyone's font set is identicle. This makes sure there are no font issues when transferring files between machines. I can also add new fonts to the server which will then automatically update each client.

On my home machine I do not see the need for Suitcase now that Apple includes FontBook (even though I think Suitcase still does the better job).

So my answer is if you are in an office environment where you need the same fonts on multiple machines the easiest way to manage that is with a font server.

If it is your own machine in your home office then stick with FontBook.

Hope that helps.
  5. Col. Panic macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    I have not had any issues with Suitcase since shortly after moving from Suitcase 9 to Suitcase X. Have you checked your fonts for corruption? That could cause issues. Also a lot of software (Adobe, Microsoft, etc.) often install their own fonts that may cause conflicts with other fonts on your system.

Although FontReserve is owned by Extensis as well you might want to give that a try. I hear it is a very good app.
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Apart from Suitcase's superior interface (and the inclusion of FontDoctor)...

...what I don't like about FontBook is that it actually moves the font files in & out of various font folders as you activate & deactivate them.

I may be overly cautious but I've had too many postscript fonts becoming corrupted over the years without wanting to subject them to further messing.

Some applications don't seem to work smoothly with it... Quark 6.1

I don't know... maybe it'll be better when Tiger is released.
  7. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Font Book works fine for me. Never used Suitcase before, but have heard of it. Is an app that a designer should know?
  8. scan300 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Main differences:
    Font Book is free with the system.

Font book copies/moves (depending on preference) fonts to fonts folder and the uses the systems' built in font collection feature to turn fonts on and off. An applescript could also do this.

Suitcase can auto-activate fonts, good if you have hundreds/thousands of legacy files.

Suitcase needs to be open all the time to keep fonts active.

You can quit Font book and still have your chosen fonts active.

Both handle font duplication in some way. (Suitcase better)

Font preview is better with Font book.

Server font solutions are available for both apps.
    Suitcase Server. Easy.
    OSX Network/Library/Fonts can distribute fonts over a network. Tricky to set-up.