Graphics Card Comparison

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey,
    I switched from an ati radeon 7500 64mb to a geforce 4 ti 4200 128mb. It has noticeably better performance playing games but when I looked up the specs on both cards they were virtually the same axcept for the amount of vram. Is the geforce really better?

PS: Sorry for the stupid post :p

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Geforce 4 TI 4200 is a considerably more powerful card than the ATi Radeon 7500 IIRC.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I have a duh question.

What difference would one notice in everyday tasks, or say Photoshop or iPhoto with a bigger video card - any?

I know nothing about vid cards.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you already have a graphics card that supports Quartz Extreme, then there should be very little difference...EXCEPT in Tiger, because the graphics card can be used via CoreImage to do the 3d filters and all.

So when Tiger comes out it will make a much bigger difference than it does now.

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Yeah, Tiger kind of scares me that way... everyone's talking about how GPU-reliant Tiger will be, and my best Mac is powered by an 8MB ATI Rage M3. As soon as I get my tax returns (TurboTax thought the 28th, lol), I'm finally going to have to upgrade.....

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

That's a common mistake everyone does when they talk about the requirements of tiger. Actually, Tiger will rely on the GPU as long as your card can handle it. If it doesn't then Tiger will simply not use some effects that require a strong graphics card.

There is absolutely no point on upgrading a video card just because you think that Tiger willl not run at a decent performance in anything less than an nVidia 5200. Tiger will be as fast as panther (or even faster) while relying only on CPU (in case you don't have a good graphics card).

Tiger will decide what's best for you. Jaguar was running well on an iMac DV with 400MHz and 384 mbytes RAM. Panther ran 30% faster. Tiger will be even better, even if your graphics card in not top-notch.

There is nothing to worry about...

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you don't have a supported GPU, then you won't get the special effects, and it'll be like Panther. Simple as that.

If you have a better graphics card you'll get a nice boost, thats all.

8. Tastemedia macrumors newbie

g5 graphics options

Hi everyone. First post to your group.
    I'm ebaying it right now considering a vid card upgrade for my 1.8 g5
    Any thoughts? Is it worth spending a stack right now? Are there reasonable options to better the 5200? Can you add vram to these cards the way you used to be able to?

9. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

R9800, x800 or GF6800 depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend. Anyway it's impossible to add vram.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Even a Radeon 9600 would be noticeably better than the 5200, and is the cheapest. (Probably about $80ish on eBay.)

--Eric

11. Davito macrumors member

I am completely ignorant on graphic cards, but I read frequently in the forums that the current Mac setups have quite weak graphic cards. So, which graphic cards would be better, and what would make them better?

12. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

I don't plan on playing many games n my mac, so would the fx 5200 be plenty for tiger? I have an imac and am considering swapping it out for a PM but I really like my imac and the reason for switching would be the limitations of a graphics acrd.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you're not heavy gaming, a GeforceFX5200 or Radeon 9600 Pro will satisfy all your needs, and will use Core Image effects. In reality most video cards will handle day to day tasks just fine. Core Image will not be a big factor for a while until everybody starts programming with it in mind, so cards like the Radeon 9000 Pro, 9200(AGP) and GeForce4ti are good performers for the G4 crowd, and will do great with 2+ year old games, and even some newer ones.

If you have a G5 and want to game, try to get at least a Radeon 9800 256MB Pro Mac Special Editon, but preferrably a 9800XT or better (GeForce 6800 series or Radeon X800XT for best performance).

14. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

why can't you upgrade your video card on imac's?

15. unfaded macrumors 6502

That's how its designed.

The PowerMac has been the only computer with an upgradeable graphics card for quite some time now.

16. AnewMac macrumors regular

I would get the x800 and not the 9800 special edition. The 9800 was not worth the cost, I wish I would of sprung for the extra hundred bucks and got the x800. *I'm so stupid*