Graphics Card for a B&W G3???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by d_saum, Sep 26, 2006.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Hey all,

I just installed FrontRow on my G3 B&W powermac and Im experiencing inverted text due to the fact that my measly 16mb video card doesnt support core image. (I gotta say, that 16mb card does quite well otherwise)

I'd like to know what graphics card I can throw in there and what I need to do to enable core image support. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is going to be a "wanna-Be" media center. Not the holy grail HTPC that I plan on building with a mac mini sometime next year. Thanks in advance

Dave :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You won't get Core Image support unless you flash a PC video card and install PCI Extreme.

3. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

I appreciate the help, but that cant be my only option can it?

:confused:

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It's your only cheap option; I believe there is an Apple approved PCI card that will work in b/ws, but it's far too expensive, and flashing is easy. Head over to the Strangedogs forums and read through some of the threads (hit the main threads on introduction to flashing, then check the b/w threads). www.strangedogs.com

5. Moop macrumors newbie

I think front row only needs quartz extreme cards to work properly. This is pretty old - my 32mb Geforce 2 supports it however its AGP.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

In that case, I'd suggest a cheap Radeon 7000 or 9200, both have PCI versions and if you can't find a Mac one, you can flash a PC one pretty easily (I've done a couple 7000s; if they are a compatible model, it is a one step process).