Graphics card issues with PowerMac G4 AGP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by orangejedi, May 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

May 12, 2008
    okay... i'm new at this so i'm probably doing something wrong :D , but anyway, i just got an old PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) for free! I have already installed a newer, 80GB hard drive i had and installed extra RAM. I also bought an ATI RAGE 128 graphics card with 32mb VRam. I am aware that the computer's standard card is a RAGE 128 with 16mb of vram, so i figured the new one should work. However, since there's only one AGP slot on the powermac, i had to remove the original, and i cannot get any display output from the new card. The computer is running OS 10.3.8 Panther, and i was led to believe that this would include drivers for cards from 1998-99-ish, the time period in which this card says it is from. is there something i'm doing wrong? or is the card just not compatible? here's the detail on the mac:

PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics)
    450MHz (single core)
    512Mb RAM
    80Gb HDD

If anyone could help fix the issue or point me in the direction of a good card it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    At the Risk of exposing my ignorance of whether the Rage 128 was Mac only to begin with.. :)

Is it a Mac version of the card?

Or just a Rage 128 you picked up was was likely in a PC?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 12, 2008
    I thought of that, but i'm not really sure.
    I don't know much about mac cards vs pc cards, but appearently there's a difference...
    That's probably the problem, though. thanks.
    Do you have any suggestions as to what to buy next time?
  4. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Do a little google searching, you might be able to flash that card to have it work in a Mac, assuming it was a PC card.

Check out OWC (
    Great site, and should be easy to find which card will work for that Mac.
  5. macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2008
    They never made a 32MB ATI Rage 128 for the Mac, unless you mean a Nexus, which is a Rage 128-based card; what you have might be an AIW card (hopefully not, since they weren't made for Mac)... or probably just some other PC card which isn't for the Mac. Not a problem, though, you can always just flash it to work on the Mac, assuming you've got a PC from which to do so.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 12, 2008
    wait a minute...
    yes i do have a pc...
    please tell me how to do this!!!:D
  7. macrumors 6502

Dave H

Mar 2, 2008
  8. macrumors member

Dec 26, 2007
    My G4/500 came with the ATI Rage 128, I upgraded to the original ATI Radeon 32MB when a guy threw one in for free with a display, and now I'm using an ATI 9200 AGP that is a flashed PC card because I needed dual display support (ATI only made a PCI 9200 for Mac). I bought the 9200 flashed so I don't know how to do it but it's been 99% trouble free, so if you can flash that 32MB card of yours you should be in good shape.