Graphics cards on single 1.8 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by g5_11, Aug 20, 2005.

1. g5_11 macrumors member

Mar 28, 2005
    I currently have a single 1.8 G5 with 1.25GB of ram and an apple 20 inch lcd. The graphics card in the machine now is a 9600XT that I ordered with the computer. I must say that while the card performs well enough to make games playable I would like to improve to better frame rates. Would an x800 xt be a waste of money with the single 1.8 or would I notice a difference worth the cash. If not what about the 9800 special edition or anything else?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I think going with a faster video card would be a worthwhile investment for you. Most, almost all, games don't take advantage of a second CPU so going with a faster/better video card would make sense. I think that I would go with the 9800 SE if I was in your shoes- but if you demand breakneck performance & you have the $$$ then go with the X800XT. Hope this helped.
  3. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 28, 2005
    Thanks. Just curious, does anyone own a 9800 se that could input some of their thoughts?
  4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Both cards just had a price reduction.

More info can be found here on performance:

The X800 is significantly more powerful than the 9800. However, I'm not sure how far ahead it pulls at "normal" resolutions. The BareFeats article is running very high resolutions. I think they have more typical resolution testing elsewhere on the site, but I didn't hunt it down.

Edit: Linked initially to an older article. Updated to latest graphs with the new 9600 for Mac and PC.
  5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    The x800 would give you a significant boost in game performance. It is a close second as the best gaming card for the mac just behind the Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra (in general--but the x800 is better for some applications and games).
  6. pmartin macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2005
    I have a 6800 Ultra in a Dual Opteron PC and the thing rips through games. Both processors are 1.8 GHz but most games only take advantage of one of them. I think CSS uses both though.