Graphics cards on single 1.8 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by g5_11, Aug 20, 2005.

1. g5_11 macrumors member

g5_11

I currently have a single 1.8 G5 with 1.25GB of ram and an apple 20 inch lcd. The graphics card in the machine now is a 9600XT that I ordered with the computer. I must say that while the card performs well enough to make games playable I would like to improve to better frame rates. Would an x800 xt be a waste of money with the single 1.8 or would I notice a difference worth the cash. If not what about the 9800 special edition or anything else?

Thanks

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think going with a faster video card would be a worthwhile investment for you. Most, almost all, games don't take advantage of a second CPU so going with a faster/better video card would make sense. I think that I would go with the 9800 SE if I was in your shoes- but if you demand breakneck performance & you have the $$$ then go with the X800XT. Hope this helped.

3. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

Thanks. Just curious, does anyone own a 9800 se that could input some of their thoughts?

4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Both cards just had a price reduction.

More info can be found here on performance:

http://www.barefeats.com/rad4x.html

The X800 is significantly more powerful than the 9800. However, I'm not sure how far ahead it pulls at "normal" resolutions. The BareFeats article is running very high resolutions. I think they have more typical resolution testing elsewhere on the site, but I didn't hunt it down.

Edit: Linked initially to an older article. Updated to latest graphs with the new 9600 for Mac and PC.

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

The x800 would give you a significant boost in game performance. It is a close second as the best gaming card for the mac just behind the Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra (in general--but the x800 is better for some applications and games).

6. pmartin macrumors regular

I have a 6800 Ultra in a Dual Opteron PC and the thing rips through games. Both processors are 1.8 GHz but most games only take advantage of one of them. I think CSS uses both though.