Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
This one: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950
or this one: 128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7200

I know the latter is a bit more expensive, but is it worth it?

Shotgun Pete

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada
what do you do with a computer, both will work for different purposes.
If you are just using a computer to browse internet, watch movies and light gaming the 950 works just fine.

if you are doing hardcore gaming constant video editing get the better one.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Yeah, it really depends on what you're using the computer for. The 950 can handle quite a bit, so if you're not looking to hard-core game (which, the 128MB wouldn't be great for either), then it may not be worth the added cost.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
If you intend to do any gaming, skip Intel.

so is that why all these super expensive gaming computers, ie voodoo, xps and alienware have those other processors

i definitely will not be doing much (or any) gaming.
video editing... its fun, but its not a career.

i'll probably save the money, unless something else dawns on me.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
so is that why all these super expensive gaming computers, ie voodoo, xps and alienware have those other processors

i definitely will not be doing much (or any) gaming.
video editing... its fun, but its not a career.

i'll probably save the money, unless something else dawns on me.

If you're not doing any gaming or much video editing, then DEFINITELY don't spend the extra money on a dedicated card, unless the difference is very small. The 950 gets dogged on a lot around here, but only by computer geeks who are more concerned with spec bragging than actual performance (ie, the kind of people who pay an extra $400 for a 2.33 processor instead of 2.16 - a difference that will be practically minute). The 950 is great for the average user, and even some pro users if they're more involved in print design than video - I'm sure it will suit you just fine.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Yes, I agree it would be more helpful to actually ask simple questions such as "What do you plan to do with your computer?" before suggesting the more expensive option for no other reason than...because. :rolleyes:

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I didn't understand michaelsaxon's post myself until I read your reply and it clicked. I think they meant "skip the Intel integrated graphics" implying a suggestion to go with the nVidia (cause... it's pretty hard to "skip intel" when Intel CPUs are the only option for new Macs and the majority of PCs).

Yeah, save the money and just go with the Intel integrated graphics chip if you're not gaming or doing real video editing, for which I suspect you'd be buying a computer with more powerful video card options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.