Graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by markjones05, Feb 11, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I was just wondering wich graphics card is better? The NVIDIA geforce4 Titanium with 128 MB DDR, or the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 MB.

If any one knows the reasons for their superiority please enlighten me.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Graphics cards?

Just do a Google search for reviews. The 9700 has nearly double the FPS(Frames/Second) at high resolutions using AA(Anti-Aliasing).

Here's a link to a review at TomsHardware to get you started.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020819/index.html

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The 9700 is a superior card in fact in was just a lil behind the fx which isnt yet being sold and the 9700 didnt have the noise and heat issues that the Fx had. also the 9700 is a 256 mb card i think. Plus one more thing and that is they are supposed to make the 9700 even faster in the near future so i would say this is your best bet for a while. Excellent review of the card at toms hardware and he has one with the fx compared to the 9700.

4. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

its still a 128MB DDR card but its uses 256bits. NVIDIA is slowly dying here even with their FX, ATI cards are quieter, perform better at lower speeds then NVIDIA super "hot" cards that eat up PCI slots as well. Beisdes a new ATI card is coming out this spring and then everyone will want to know when it will be availible for the mac. prob called the 9900.

Tyler

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have the NVIDIA Geforce4 Titanium, do you think it is worth it for me to sell it and get the 9700. I have some very good games and use video editing with final cut pro 3 alot. Will the 9700 make that much of a difference?

6. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Also, my G4 is very loud and produces alot of heat. Is this due to the Nvidia card?!?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I kind of doubt it but the best thing you can do is check out that toms hardware site and read the whole thing! the card you have is still a great card and its shortcomings( if you can even call it that) are only when running at highest resolutions. You have a solid card.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Not really. the older (since last update) ones had a fan problem that made them blow too much.
    Nvida might have only a couple db I don't think much.

The 9700 Crushes the Nvida Geforce 4 .
    The FX would beat the 9700 but it aint out and according to rumors they might scrap the chip all together something with heat and mass producing the chip.

It might help, but this would help gaming more than video editing, I wouldn't expect a massive difference.

A small difference.

9. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Thanx macman, is there a way to fix this "fan problem"?