Graphics Tablets: What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wsteineker, Apr 9, 2003.

1. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Hey guys, I'm wondering what the print/web design folks and the digital photographers think about graphics tablets. I'm looking into purchasing one, as I've come to the realization that they might be a lot easier to use in Photoshop than my mouse. Do they make your work easier? What would you recommend? I'm looking to use the thing in Photoshop, Fireworks, and possibly Dreamweaver. Thanks!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its fantastic! I have a Intuos2 12x9 and absolutely love it - the only complaint I have is that it might be too big (for the desk and in general I only use one corner when using the mouse) But It does allow me to place a full sheet of paper under it for tracing and it came with the 4 button, scrollwheel mouse along with the pen.

In photoshop there are times when the pen is so much better than the mouse, but it takes a bit getting used to the sensitivity. Also, presure is nice, especially if you're using Painter.

Good luck,

D :D

3. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Thanks man. I'm looking at the Intuos 2 6x8 model. That's about as large as I can go given my VERY limited deskspace. The sensitivity is actuall a big draw for me, though I'm sure it'll take some getting used to.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i bought the graphire tablet. it was WAY too small!! I recommend you DO NOT get a 6x8, for i would think that is too small also.

i would buy the largest tablet you can possibly afford. trying to draw on a large screen with a small tablet just plain sucks.

the tablets are nice, they work great in photoshop and painter... they allow you to do things you never could with a mouse.

just get a BIG one.

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I had a friend the got the graphire2. he thought it was great until i went out and bought the intuos2 4x5 same size as the graphire. He now borrows my tablet more the he uses his. I would have like to get a larger tablet as i feel the 4x5 is alittle less then i wanted but of course being a college student i don't have all the money in the world.

It is an absolute dream working in photoshop with it. The control the pen offers is unreal. I honestly don't know how i would make half the work i do without it. It really released alot of the obstecals i had in translating what was in my head onto the computer screen with a mouse

6. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Yeah, the Graphire 2 is definitely attractive due to the price, but I want to make sure I get a quality product. The 6x8 is about all I can afford (college student) and I only have a 15" Studio Display, so I'm no too worried. I really don't see myself upgrading past a 17" LCD any time soon, so this should be fine, right?

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I am a loyal Graphire tablet user, but I am also not a power user. The Intuos line is excellent, and worth the price difference. If your not sold on tablets, and they do have their drawbacks, then I might recommend picking up a second hand or new Graphire tablet.

I use mine for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Painter. I also it for text editing, where I have set up my formatting toolbars to coincide with marks on a card that I place under the tablets protective film. I have one toolbar set that helps me quickly format scripts.

Using a tablet takes lots practice, at least it did for me. Once you start customizing your tools and presets you will be well on your way to becoming a tablet addict.

If money is no object the combo, flat screens/tablets (just very accurate touch screens) are a blast to use. Pop down to your local Kinkos to see if you like one of these (the ones in my area have them for use).

8. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Don't I wish I could afford something like that. No, it's probably going to be a Graphire or a smaller Intuos for me. Still, after hearing you guys rave about the things, I'm sold on getting a tablet. :)

9. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

The transition to using a tablet takes a bit of work. They don’t solve all problems and create some of their own. For my bit, I use my tablet most extensively for formatting of text. Most people don’t use a tablet like I do, but that’s to my benefit. It’s a tool and like any tool it takes some practice to learn how to use it. If you buy an inexpensive model you’ll get what you pay for, but it might be worth it to see if you like the basic concept.

As for the size, I don’t think it’s too difficult to learn how the scaling between tablet and the screen works.

10. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

So by that rationale it would be good for me to go with the Intuos 2 (higher quality than the Graphire) but keep the size down to stay somewhere close to my budget. Sound about right?

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    wanna buy my hardly used graphire tablet?

give me a number.

12. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'll mention it to my parents. They're getting me the tablet for my birthday, so I'll have to run it past them. I'll let you know.

13. Riko19 macrumors member

im unsure on graphics tablets but i use a 17 inch wacom screen with like a graphic pen which is also very nice look at the wacom art screens they are quite cool but depend on if you have the money for them, they are quite steep.

:eek: